Sign in to follow this  
Holger

How to fix a river depression to blend with local terra...

Hi,I'm diving back into the scenery game and I have a question that I wanted an answer to for a very long time now. In the default FS2K scenery, Calgary, Canada, has a river that flows through the city but it is sunken into the terrain with jagged and steep terrain rising from it. I downloaded a new terrain for all of Canada (SRTM90) and the problem is still there.How can I fix this? I want to be able to "raise" the river to meet the immediate surrounding terrain. I have attached a JPEG that show the depression I'm talking about and of the intended correction I want to make.Eventually, I would like to cahnge this "lake" to a river as it should be. Coastline maker, I assume, can help in doing this. But, first things first.... the terrainThanks,JamieCYYC

Hi Jamie:you could think of the area as depicting the Bow River in 10,000 years ;-)Actually, you have two options. The first one is to tinker with the respective hydrographic .bgl of that area, probably one of the hyp*** or hyl***.bgl in the FS2002SCENEDBWesthemcanwScenery folder. That would require decompiling, editing the elevation, and recompiling with BGLAnalyze.exe by Winfried Orthmann. I have never done that myself but Gilles Gauthier has used it for his Quebec and Maritimes meshes.The second option is to use Steve Greenwood's flatten utility and trace the river/lake outline in slew mode, typing in the coordinates, assigning a new elevation to the area, then compiling the flatten .bgl. That's the approach I took with the "offending" lakes in my BC freeware meshes. Similar to your problem, I did this for parts of the Kootenay Lake West Arm near Nelson and the Fraser in Prince George. If you're using the FSGenesis mesh, installing these patches (bcmeshp1.zip) will probably help you with problematic areas in BC (because both meshes are of similar quality) and give you an idea of what the flatten switches can achieve.Cheers, Holger