Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Editing LWM and VTP *.asm files FS2004

Guest Freddy Wilhelmsen

Hi!After using the cfs2conv the HP file displays as the HP is disabled entirely. Meaning, no differences from the new HP954060.bgl in the appropriate folder, and this file totally disabled.I am now experimenting with AutoASM, to create new LWM and VTP for the entire LOD5 area. It is possible to import a bmp from LWMViewer, and edit this, and then save and compile it again. In this way, i might be able to keep all existing LWM and VTP, but my island, which i create as a new LWM ( just deleting the LWM and VTPs for my island in the new HP (and L) 954060.bglJust now i am trying to enhance my mesh, because the last one didnt include proper data for the shoreline ( height 0). Now we have managed to create new x y z files for our island containing the 0 data shoreline ).Will keep posting our results here as the project progresses.rgdFreddy Wilhelmsen and Tor Egil Johansen.

Hi Freddy.This discussion is straying quite a ways from mesh design. :)Once you replace an LOD5-sized default HP bgl, then all futher changes to LWM or VTP polys and lines can be done without an further alteration of the default files.LWM can now change land to water and water to land. Old VTP lines can be excluded in individual LOD13 areas, and new lines ( or VTP polys ) drawn in... no need to further alter any of the default BGLs.The project I'm currently working on will eventually replace the default files, but that is only because I have very detailed data of the entire LOD5 area, and too much time on my hands. ;) I would never consider replacing the default BGLs unless I had both the time and the accurate data for the whole area.If I had only a small amount of data, or was interested in only a small area, I would never consider replacing or altering an LOD5 deault bgl.The conversion of the default HP bgl to CFS2-style water just allows you to rework small areas without worrying about the LWM flattening of the default water polys. Dick

Guest vlada stoje

Hi Dick,I am not currently working on similar project, so just tested quickly the alternative way, rewriting the variety of roads in one existing VTP2 bgl for Cell 414_114 by one value 1158 (not sure if it is equivalent to you recommendation?), and yes the billboards and poles disappeared from the runways and also the fps dramatically increased. Sorry I can

Hi Vlada.What I'm using is named textures to completely avoid the vector autogen. Here's what I use for freeways ( super highways ):VTPTexStart label word VTPTextureListHeader 1,VTPTexListStart, VTPTexNameStart, VTPTexNameEndVTPTexListStart label word VTPTextureListEntry VTPTexNameStart, VTPTexName0, VTPTexName1VTPTexNameStart label wordVTPTexName0 label word VTPTextureName "hiwaysu.bmp;hiwayhw.bmp;hiwaysu.bmp;hiwaysu.bmp;hiwaysu.bmp;hiwaylm.bmp" VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0,4VTPTexName1 label wordVTPTexNameEnd label wordThe end result is that the FPS actually increases, because all the VTP lines seem to be excluding some of the default texture autogen.Odd, how more detail could lead to greater framerates.I haven't used Edgar Knobloch's chptconv to force childpoint lines, as his code for the endpoints isn't quite right. The first and last two points of a childpoint line define the actual corners of the line's start and end... points that are the edges of the road.The cfs2conv2 water for a default HP replacement is not the best remedy, but we are forced to use this because of the residual flattens left by overwritten water polys that wreck the mesh.I'd rather have funny looking default water than the flattens... then I can wreck the mesh with my own flattens. ;)Dick

Guest vlada stoje

Hi Dick,thanks! Now I see it, this way passes the common settings from the file Terrain.cfg and sets the line without the vector autogen, without the modification of this file. Bad show - authors of FS2004 tried their best to make us happy, created vector autogens, and we are canceling this effort at least for our projects, but it is difficult to find the perfect solutions without the terrain SDK. Tested your alternative method and it works fine, so I will forward this possible way to my friends working with Ground2k (perhaps new version of Ground2k will solve it?)Cheers Vlada