Sign in to follow this  
larshgf

A Newbie asking for help

Hi everybody!Recently I had a "trip" in FS2004 flying over different islands in greece. What I primarily missed was a more autenthic look of these islands. It was the villages and roads on the islands that was not there properly. The mesh terrain was very fine. And in order to solve this "great problem of mine" (or maybe better - find a new time-consuming interest ;-)) I tried to research for programs that was able to add the missing villages etc to the islands. I found Ground2K4 and a living discussion in the AVSIM's "MSFS Scenery Design Forum". Holger provided a satelitte photo for the Sporadic Island, and I began to try the Ground2K4 program out. After a while I was able to add a new village to the island (I started with Skiathos) and to draw a more correct coastline. Doing the last thing I found that the default coastlines in FS2004 are not correct. And when some land was missing the mesh-data was missing too. Only flat land!! THEREFORE MY 3 QUESTIONS:(1) If I draw the Sporadic Islands after the Sattelite Photo will it then be possible with the mesh-data to fix this problem? (2) I've downloaded the SRTM2BGL program but indeed have no experience in this kind of work! Does anybody know of a kind of "SRTM2BGL-Beginners manual" which can be downloaded from the web?(3) The ReadMe file that comes with SRTM2BGL mention that the data can be downloaded from this FTP... ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtmis it still the place for downloading SRTM-data?Kind RegardsLars :-)

Guest stentor

Lars:The true is out there.You have a lot of questions and you're mixing things.a) Yes, default coast lines 2002/2004 are not correct.:( To correct it, at 2002 is easier than 2004. At 2004 environiment, the technology is different.c) Mesh terrain is another subject. The application of better resolution mesh terrain doens't correct default flattened areas.d) Application of texture is like a blanket you lay over mesh terrain.e) Using Ground2K you can (not shure, never use it)modify the shape of islands, for 2002, and to apply a new texture. And after that correction, a new mesh terrain over.f) Anyway, this subject is not matter for this forum. Better if you ask Holger, at Scenery Design Forum, to help you. One question each time.I'm triyng to help you, a bit.Good lucky, my best wishesCelso Junior

Thanks for your answer Celso, but in the meantime I've solved all these problems.Have a nice weekend Lars ;-)