Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Keeping Mesh with new LWM scenery

Guest taalspin

FSDem provides a way to import Mesh scenery that greatly improves the elevation quality. When I try to use Ground2K v4 to change the texture and Landclass, I seem to lose the Mesh. Is there a way to have both, and to also have autogen working? The scenery I am presently working on is the default one used for the beginners manual (Monaco). What happens is that even trying to exclude all the water and land layers, there still seems to remain a default coast line that abruptly stops the mesh scenery to flow to sea level, causing steep cliffs.Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Tallspin

I see no one answered this, but your problem is that while it is possible to exclude the default shorelines and land/water polys, the default water polys are set as flattened at 0 (sea level). Fixing this is a problem. The default data are contained in scenery bgl files of the form HP9xxyy0.bgl where xx and yy are decimal digits which locate the file in the flight sim world.There are four approaches to the problem of these water flattens:1. Do nothing and live with it.2. Modify the mesh by using the remesh feature in Ground2k4 to smooth out the land at the coast line. This is pretty inefficient and of course results in "incorrect" mesh.3. Replace the entire HP9xxyy0.bgl file. This can be a problem since the file covers a pretty large area. It also affects lakes, not just ocean shore.4. Utilize a patch program written by Jim Keir to remove all the water polys in a single (or more) LOD8 cells within the HP file. The result is a modified HP file. The good part is that a LOD8 cell is more reasonable to tackle. The bad part is that the modified HP file may conflict with other addon scenery, especially if a second author also wants to modify the default file. Mr. Keir's tool has the feature that if two developers use the tool on the same HP file, it can combine the two edits (in either order) so the tool could be included in an installer to fix the HP file on a user's machine. (Of course, if your are not planning on relesing your project that becomes a non-issue). If you don't have it, I highly recommend starting out with Jim Keir's LWMViewer program. Then at least you can get an idea of the size of the problem you are faced with. With this program, you can enter lat/long coordinates and the program will retrieve all the default files. Then you can overlay your new ones and see where there are potiential problems.scott s..