Sign in to follow this  
Guest Horst

BMP from BGL?

Is there a way to extract a BMP from a mesh BGL?Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest Horst

Hello Luis,You must have a privileg version ;)In any version I used, I never could export a mesh bitmap.Is there any trick?I had a quick look to 1.4b, but the export to bitmap is not active!Is there any old version can do this? Kind regardsHorst

Hello Horst,LWMViewer can seem a little quirky until it finally all sinks in.I just load the mesh and then load all files at those coordinates. Then, de-select everything but the mesh, and the Export option should appear.I guess that you do not even have to load everything - just try loading the mesh and the HP files, then de-select the HP.Best regards.Luis

Guest luissa

Hello all,Jim once released a tool (tmfdecompress) that could extract the altitude data from the BGL, but he then asked people not to use for copyrights reasons (a discussion could be found in these forum archives.May be the question by Dick is related with making of high resolution scenery with SBuilder (sorry if that is not the case). Sbuilder is capable of making a grid of texture triangles whose vertices horizontal displacment is the same as a mesh of LOD8 resolution. For a small 1km2 x 1km2 Area this is 128 triangles (if I can remember). Since the X and Y coordinates of the vertices are fixed it is only needed to know the Z (the altitude).If you are going to make the photoscenery and mesh you are OK. Actually it is that way that I use Sbuilder. But if you want to apply thos high resolution triangles in a region that has a 3rd party (or default) mesh you (SBuilder) do not have the Z values to make the scenery.Kind Regards, Luis S

Guest Horst

Hello Luis,Thank you very much.I used

Guest Horst

Hello Luis,I played with it, when you released the high res version.It worked for me, quite good.As you wrote, when a 3rd party addon is in the same area using LOD 9, you will not see the LOD8 mesh.And there is no way, without deactivating the 3rd party LOD9 or 10 mesh.(I did not checked different TMVL settings)Kind regardsHorst

Hello Horst,Yes, these bitmaps probably cannot be used to create high-resolution tiles with SBuilder.But, I use them quite routinely as background images. It is easy to find maps on the internet for areas that I want to draw, but they never have coordinate lines, nor do they indicate the projection.I can use the image of the mesh from LWMViewer. It has an accompanying text file that indicates the bounding coordinates. Then, all I need do is place the map over the mesh bitmap, make sure that the map covers all of the mesh, and there I have a relatively accurate and well-placed background image.Dick has often mentioned this in the past, and it seems to be a very good use of this function.Best regards.Luis

Guest Horst

Hello Luis,I think, to use some height information in Sbuilder is more then usefully.(i.e. tilted polygons, height for lakes, etc.)And you can use the BSQ to bitmap, for your own mesh data.You can do almost everything outside the FS.And the bitmaps from LWM Viewer are very important.As you wrote, it is very easy to place them correct.You will not mix the data (better: you do not make mistakes), when you want to make some additions to the default or 3rd party data. (lines and polygons, or placing objects).As I wrote, yesterday I could export the first time a mesh bmp.Is there any legend for the colourisation? Or any information in this forum?Kind regardsHorst