Sign in to follow this  

Lots of planes stuck on the ground.

Well I loaded up worldai10a.zip through Traffic Tools, linked in the 10 most used aircraft in those flightplans, downloaded a few AFCAD gate edits, and went to watch the show at some of the gate-enhanced airports with 100% AI traffic set.Good points: lots and lots of planes, and lots of ground frequency radio traffic requesting and permitting taxi to the runway or taxi to the gate.Bad points: a few aircraft pushed back or turned away from their gates, but none continued taxiing. No landing aircraft made it off the runway (or any further than the grass by the side of the runway).Hmmmm. Not enough CPU cycles in my AMD1100MHz/512MB/GeForce3Ti200 system to handle the volume of traffic or are there some upper limits in what the AI Engine can handle I wonder?I've spent/wasted(?) a lot of time on this when I could have been flying :)Oh, and if you are curious, 2 FPS at the big airports with this traffic load - so I wouldn't have used this configuration for flying, but I am more concerned about the failure of any AI aircraft to complete its mission.

Guest RONVKING

Hi,Just a thought. If a lot of traffic moving at the same time could they have come "face to face" or similar. This would produce an impass where each AC can't give way to the other's.I've had this myself and found that taking the odd taxi line way forced to aircraft to take a certain routing and thereby avoiding meeting others head onRgds Ron

My two cents.With properly configured airports and properly configured AI Flight Plans there is no reason why aircraft should not taxi.As is my experience:1) I added gates (only) to KDFW and connected them to existing taxiway paths.2) I enable the use of two runways.3) I loaded all of the 'real life' flight plans I created (copied verbatim from DOT)With this, a flight leaves DFW approximately ever 2 minutes. Can the AI engine handle it? YES. do the aircraft taxi fast enough so that the AI engine handle it? NO. Aircraft taxi to the runway and await in MASSIVE lines to take off while at the same time 1 in 3 aircraft attempting to land actually get to (the rest must "go around"), HOWEVER, I am certain that as soon as I get Add A Gate to be able to 'split' the airport into 'multiple' airports there won't be any problems (other than frame rates of course).I guess, what I am saying. IF the aircraft DO NOT taxi to their destination, it is most likely caused by incomplete taxiway paths from their location to their destination.-j