Sign in to follow this  

They're there, but they're not?

Hi All,It's been a long time since I've been to these forums, and I'm really impressed with the wealth of information available here. I've had a few questions answered already that I didn't even know I had!But my real problem lies with my first afcad project. I've read everything in this forum up to the point where it was so old the information may no longer be pertinent, but I haven't seen this problem anywhere.I have a five layer, (four overlays) of KCLE active in my fs. I can pull up all my airports and overlays in afcad (newest version...works much better than my previous version!) All my traffic appears and behaves accordingly in the sim. My problem lies in the fact that I can't access KCLE or any of the overlays via the "select airport" or "go to airport" selections. They appear in the menu, but if you select any of my CLE airports, it places you in the center of the ocean somewhere. The strange thing is, if I go to CLE via one of my saved flights, the airport and all the aircraft are there behaving normally!For the life of me, this has me stumped. I've checked and double checked my text files and everything else I can think of...to no avail. I'm missing something between the airport and the menu that is preventing me easy access to my CLE. The only thing I've changed since it was working fine, is I've added the latest version of FSUIPC, and the latest version of TTools (deleting the old one.)Thanks for any help, Chuck Slusarczyk

When you open up the AFCAD files for each of the airports (orig and overlays) do you have a reference point for each and is it visible and at the correct location.

Hi,Yes, they all have reference points, but I admit I moved them closer to the appropriate active runway for each layer. Can they be too close together? Or too far apart? Or should they not be moved at all? I thought this was a new option with the latest version . Chuck Slusarczyk

No, if you can see the reference points, then they are fine.What do you choose in the bottom box to get this behavior? (i.e. the box that defaults to "Active Runway"). Have you tried going to different runway and gate locations via that box and see where that takes you? Have you tried Exporting your overlays, and seeing if there are any junk characters in the output (like J#)? If so you need to email Lee Swordy and have him send you version 1.2.4 (you can fix those characters by replacing them with zeros and reediting the file).Hope this helps,-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Thanks Tom,I'll look into that this afternoon when I get home. I'm relieved to hear that if the reference points can be seen, I'm okay. That's what I figured. I'll try the other suggestions as well, then get back to you.Thanks for your time.Chuck Slusarczyk

Hi Tom,I went in and discovered that as long as I choose a start position OTHER than "active runway," it works fine. I also exported one of my overlays and can't find anything that looks like "junk."I think perhaps it has to do with the fact that some of the overlays may not have room for me when I choose them? I'm going to read up and play with the afcad a bit more and see if I'm missing something.Regards,Chuck Slusarczyk

Start AFCAD and open each of your overlays. When your overlay has loaded click on pull-down menu views. Click show start locations. If the start location symbol is missing from the end of the runways you will be dumped into cyber-space.Tha actual start location does not have to be on the runway itself but must be somewhere. I put mine on the taxiway at the hold node for that runway. There are many different overlays available for download but you will find that only a certain percent are done correctly. I have found Nav aids, ref. points, start locations, etc. completely missing from overlays, so after importing always check them with a fine tooth comb before saving.

Thanks Jim,I'll look into that. I made the overlays myself, and last I checked they had start positions, but who knows? I may have accidentally deleted them. I've been working on some other projects lately, but with this tip, I may be back on track!I'll let you know.Chuck Slusarczyk

Hi Jim,I went in and checked, all of them have no less than six start positions, so I guess that isn't it. Good tip though...The adventure continues!Chuck Slusarczyk