Sign in to follow this  
Guest meyrowings

Problem with active runways (LEMD)

Guest Himar777

Dear Friends,I have a problem with active runway selection by AI in LEMD (I guess this also happens in several other airports with two runways or more...)LEMD has three runways: 36R/18L - 36L/18R - 15/33. In real life, default assignement for deliveries and departures are:From 0700LT to 2300LT: Dep. 36L - Arr. 33From 2300LT to 0700LT: Dep. 36R - Arr. 33I made a (simulated) flight from LEMD yesterday, at 1130LT, and active runways for departures (as it was being used by AI planes) was 36R. This is wrong.Is there any way of fixing this? Thank you very much in advance.Best regards,

Hi,Did you use the afcad program to close some runways for departure and others for arrival?What about winds from about 180

Guest Himar777

At real life, when winds from about 180

You can use AFCAD2 to close runways for either landing or takeoffs. However, if FS decides that it has no choice, it will override your closing. So make sure you have at least one parallel runway available for landings and one for takeoffs.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest Stamatis

Hello Tom,"However, if FS decides that it has no choice, it will override your closing."This is new for FS2004, right? It never happened in FS2002, at least never happened to me.When you say "has no choice" what exactly do you mean?Will just one "open for landings" runway end suffice, regardless of wind direction, or does it have to be a runway end which is also into the wind (i.e. with a headwind component)?Stamatis

Yes, new for FS9.Based on my testing and reading other posts, the procedure that FS9 appears to use to determine this is:1. Get wind direction at surface.2. Figure out which ATC-acceptable runway(s) is closest to that wind direction. This selection process is (at the moment) not clear, but it does NOT take into account if closed by AFCAD or not.3. If there is more than one runway within about 5-7 degrees of the chosen runway heading, ATC will use those also. Note that they must be parallel or almost parallel! No crossing runways.4. If the developer has closed the runway(s) already selected and there is no other runway available, ATC will use it anyway. ATC will always have a runway available for landing and takeoff. If other runways are still available for landing and takeoff, then the runway closing will be honored.5. Arrivals: ATC will send planes to the open runway closest to their approach path (i.e. planes from the north will use the "north" runway, etc.).6. Departures: ATC will send planes to the the open runway closest to their gate.Also, it appears that the opening and closing of runways is an all or nothing kind of thing - it only seems to work well if you close BOTH ends for landing and/or takeoffs - it's unreliable if you don't (works sometimes, though).Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

There seems to be a remedy to force ATC using the runway of your choice: put a star of short and narrow artificial runways all differing about 5

Guest Stamatis

If other runways are still available for landing and takeoff, then the runway closing will be honored.But if I understand you correctly these "other runways" cannot be any runways, they must also be into the wind?Stamatis

Correct. They must be within 7 degrees of the runway that ATC has chosen. Any other runway will be ignored.The star technique does not yet work reliably; hopefully someday...Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest dfreed

Also, make sure your Hold-short nodes are oriented in the proper direction. The nodes in AFCAD2 are directional and you have to have one just prior to the runway you want active.

Guest meyrowings

I've got a similar problem in FS2K4 at LEPA for Simwings (maybe spanish ATC is different...)Dual Parallel Runways, 24R closed for landing, open for takeoff, 24L closed for t/o, open for landing.Both have ILS. And, I'm flying with clear skies, just 5 kts wind from 240.24L is simply *IGNORED*. I cannot even manually request landing 24L when ATC assigned me 24R (closed!) for landing...24C (much shorter) is marked closed for all ops (just taxiway).BTW, how is the "BASE END" defined in AFCAD2? Maybe the creator mixed up directions and ATC thinks every runway is closed?Any ideas?Wondering,Torsten