Sign in to follow this  
larshgf

A Newbie Needs Help! Get confused...

My Greetings to all Captains,I'm quite new to the AI environment. I have searched half of all 73 pages of posts listed in this TTools forum but couldn't find any giving some instructions on how to start with AI. However, I found some information on different AI tools like TTools, AFCAD, etc., also a few tutorials on PAI but still get confused and puzzled. I therefore, decided to get help before going on with download of various AI aircraft, flight plans, etc. At the moment I use FS2004 and know about two major AI aircraft providers, namely AI Aardvark and Project AI, not to mention tons of AI flight plans at Avsim's Library. I've read a few tutorials about installation of AI aircraft, textures and AI flight plans. I also have TTools and AFCAD v2.21 downloaded from Avsim Library. And know nothing else except that both of them are used to manage AI traffic. I've recently downloaded and successfully (?) installed AIA 767-300 base model and the Scandinavian Airlines texture for it following instructions provided in relevant Readmes. After that I downloaded SAS flight plans for winter 2005. Using TTools and following its User Guide I decomplied "traffic030528.bgl" and after adding necessary aircraft and flight plan info I re-compiled all three .txt files to make the edited traffic visible in FS2004. Unfortunately, the AIA 767 didn't show up.I now need help both on the proper installation of my AI aircraft and AI tools in general. Below I listed some questions of mine re AI. I would appreciate if somebody could help me to answer them: 1. What is the correct procedure for a newbie to start with AI (proper aircraft, textures, flight plan installations)? 2. What extra tools I need except those listed above? 3. Where can I get tutorials, manuals on AI? 4. Do I need to edit original (FS2004) airport .bgl files to use additional AI aircraft?Thank you.Rustam

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Hi Rustam,I've decided that I'm going to always be a Newbie and stay in training. It's easier that way.I have some good new and some bad news for you. Bad News...I'm tired and don't feel like typing a long detailed answer to all of your questions, like I want to do to help. Besides I usually leave some major detail and that would cause me to have to go through life feeling guilty that I messed you up.Now the good news. There is plenty of help easily available to answer all of your questions in a way that even I can understand and that is saying something.First of all search the furum using the "Keyword" feature. Trust me...You are not asking questions that have not been asked before. Youcan also use the library "extended search" keyword "tutorials" and you'll find more help.You may wish to spend some time visiting the Learning Center which I find has been helpful to me. Again, it will take you by the hand and lead you to AI Glory. www.wilsonsairspace.comI like the tutorial By David "opa" Marshall. Matter of fact do yourself a favor and get all of his "Tips and Trick" He puts alot of work in to helping us learn just what it is we like about this hobby.Patrick Finch is another name to look for. He has a tutorial that has four parts (There also an update). I got his totorial from flightsim.com but I think it is in AVSIM library also. His tutorial will walk you through the whole process of getting a plane, to putting it where you want to when you want to.I see that you have used PAI. Good!!! Now if I rember right, PAI has SAS as a comple airline package which includes flight plans. Exchange your 767 with one of the plane that already have your airport listed.PAI and from what I understand World of AI make life real good for us in that all we have to do is use their installers and go look at airplanes.But, let me give you some advise from one newbie to another newbie. BREATHE!!!!!!! If you are in a hurry go to PAI and get everything including your AFCADS. Depending on your download speed you can have crowded airports and all the stutter you want in 2 days. I love PAI so don't get me wrong. I have gobs of their stuff and refuse to delete any of it for now. However, I have read that there are many who as I are going through the task of replacing PAI aircraft with the more Frame Rate Friendly aircraft produced by AIA, CDAI, EvolveAI, and others. FS is an addiction. AI is worse. Once you start doing it you could find yourself spending spending most of your FS time dong AI stuff. Do yourself a favor and take your time to reasearch. Start with your Home airport and work out to those you fly most. See when it gets right down to it, you are looking for the perfect airport. Plane in the air are nice to see every once in a while. Planes on the ground next to to is where it's at:-) Read the tutorials I mentioned plus other stuff that is out there. Take your time because you're going to be doing it for a long time and it is never going to be exactly right or like you want it and have fun.Course I have only touched on the freeware side of the coin:-) There is PAYWARE.:-) I'm Going to get payware stuff one day. But even then i'm not in a big hurry because the more I read the more I find that people buy the perfect payware,praise it as the ultimate addon, won't be without it, complain about it, tweak the heck out of it by replacing the planes and afcads and anything else they can do to it, complain some more, tweak some more, and then then buy the next greatest ultimate addon traffic package. BTW...I am not slamming any of them Fact is I'm going to get Ultimate Traffic as my first post FSX addon cause i hear good stuff about it. But think about this.I like old stuff big iron. We have FS 2004 but who says we have to fly in that enviorment? Look at CALCLASSIC Propliners And Historical Jetliner Group. I can fly in another era and my airport can look as that time with AI. Hope this helps. Gotta go get a CONNIE. BTW...Calclassics has an AI Package:-) Best regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)

Thanks Jan1,Allthough I'm not the one that started this thread I'm a newbie too and I'm really glad for your link above - lot's of info about AI. My own advice was a little outdated..:-)Best RegardsLars