Sign in to follow this  
falcon999

Please Please Help - constant Winrun.cpp crashes

Curtis,If this works for you guys, then David deserves all the credit. What I really need to know is whether these problems in combination with NAV are limited strictly to using PMDG's B777 or are also a problem with other aircraft. It seems we may have more than one factor involved.

Randall Rocke

Randall:At least on my system, I used to get infrequent but periodic winrun.cpp crashes using ALL aircraft. I'd say once every 10 or 12 flights. This included the B777. Once I installed C4TO, I got the same infrequent but periodic winrun.cpp crashes for all planes EXCEPT the B777. On the B777, I got a winrun.cpp error EVERYTIME I flew - no expection.So whatever caused the crashes was much more prevelent with the B777. Since I disabled NAV (only a week ago and five or six flights ago), I've not crashed once.One possible theory if NAV is the true cause --- NAV doesn't like certain DLL files. The B777 has MORE DLL's associated specifically with it than any of the other aircraft. Please do note, even before I disabled NAV, I had excluded the Fly!2 directory and all subdirs from being scanned. So my sense is this was associated with memory scanning.Anyway, I'm continuing to quietly rejoice and will report back periodically to confirm. I will also be buying McAfee virus scan since I'm feeling rather "exposed" now that I've disabled NAV. Do you think Symantec will refund me the remainder of my one-year subscription to virus def updates?-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

David,I certainly am concerned about NAV and how it's interacted with your installation. I've never had the problems that you have mentioned with any aircraft, THOUGH I must be honest and say I haven't had time to fly my copy of the B777 yet so I may be in for a surprise. :-)Note - I've never excluded any directories from scanning. I've simply disabled Auto-Protect, period, so that no scanning (memory or otherwise) should have been taking place when flying (2 clicks in the System Tray).IMO - McAfee is not the way to go - ever since XP came out, their product was almost non-functional with it, though they may have resolved the issues by now (they better have, or they'll be going out of business). I changed to NAV and have been extremely happy with it - I don't know if I would be, however, if I had had your experience.

Randall Rocke

Good morning Randall:I don't have PMDG's B777 (yet), so I can't say that my experienc with the "Winrun .cpp" error occured with the B777. My Winrun.cpp errors occured while using both Fly!2 default aircrafts and ROTW's great aircrafts. Whenever my errors occured, (at all times) both the Task manager and Norton were "disabled" in the task bar only, not disconnected by "msconfig" as suggested. Since using "msconfig" to disconnect NAV, I have not received the error!!!!I agree; would both you and David agree to the title of "KING OF THE HILL"? If the problem IS solved, both of you will make a lot of people happy!!Curtis

I would suggest we all thank George (Falcon999) since he was the one pointed out the need to remove NAV, rather than simply disabling it. -DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

----------------------------------------------------------------Msg: Runtime execption code c0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 77F536F7File: WINRUN.CPP line 165Time: Fri Jun 28 21:32:15 2002errno = 2 (No such file or directory)----------------------------------------------------------------So here's the situation:B777 (American, downloaded from AVSIM). Took off from KSAN, rwy 9 with C4TO clearing me. Had METAR loaded also (thinned - file attached in case anyone wants to try this on their own). Flight plan was to KSJC. I have both KSAN and KSJC TerraModels airports. No custom TerraScene ground.Took off through the low clouds. Ascended past 10K and was on my way to FL230. Had already tuned to Center and was listening to ATC chatter. I wasn't paying attention at the time to exact flight level, but I have to guess I was probably near FL180 just based on time between last call from Center.Then BOOM. Gone.I'm not throwing in the towel yet. I want to try some things. First, I want to try flying the American re-paint again after I restart my PC (will have to be tomorrow, my wife is telling me its time to go to bed :-wink2 so I'd better get off this PC). I also want to attempt the same flight using the same METAR. I was using my PC prior to Flying and had some problems with "Roxio DirectCD" locking up on a corrupt CD. So I killed the Windows Explorer process. I'm wondering if that did something negative to memory. I'll report back later in the weekend. Adios.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Good morning:Reporting in! Boy, this is a tough nut to crack! Just when I thought that the problem wass solved, BANG! Flights went smoothly Friday evening and Saturday. Last evening, during a flight from Philadelphia (KPHL) to San Antonio (KSAT), Flying the new Atlas repaint, my unit crashed to the desktop and I received the "Winrun.cpp" error. I was just directed by C4TO to climb to 10K when the error occured. At that point I restarted Fly!2 and proceeded with the same flight plan (KPHL TO KSAT) but this time, the flight was completed without any problems. Beautiful flight. NO "WINRUN.CPP" ERROR. Go figure! I didn't do anything diferent in setting up the two flight plans!!I'm hanging in there with you, but I'm afraid that the only support I can offer is to report to you the results of what I try. I'm not a computer programer. I hope that the information that I give helps somehow!!CurtisFly!II v230, dell dimension, PIII/733Mhz, 256MB, Nvidia GF4 Ti4400 v28.83, Win'98SE, AGP set to 256.

Not necessary! Glad it helped and we will see if it has solved the problem.George