Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Control in Fly! II compared to other sims

I don't want to start a my sims beter than yours discussion but when I fly in Fly! II I have to make a lot of corrections and I'm ussually very busy keeping control of the aircraft. When I spend a few seconds admiring the (excellent!) scenery I'm totally off course and disoriented.The other flightsim (FS2K2) is much easier on me. I just find a stable setting and trim the aircraft and its rock solid on its flightpath. The truth must be in the middle I guess. But then again maybe Fly! II doesn't like my USB joystick or maybe there is some setting that can make life a little easier for me.I fly both sims at realistic settings. I tried turning of the turbulence and other extra settings in Fly. Also tried to set all the wind settings to 0. I apreciate any help and maybe an explanation by a real pilot on which sim is more realistic in this respect.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest captbulldog

what plane are you flying

Which aircraft for instance? I don't find FS2002 rock solid stable either, when the realism settings are high. Which is good, because I've not flown a real plane that holds perfect altitude or course all by itself (without auto-pilot).At first I had a few problems with FLYII myself, using default settings. I have since went through the menu and reset all settings for my Saitek X-45 joystick and rudder pedals. Works very well now! The bottom line is that I don't find either sim to be more realistic in respect to stable flight when trimmed. They both can do quite a good job as long as the flight models are the better ones. Just make sure your controls are not activating two flight surfaces at once.L.Adamson

Guest rene_35

each time I watch over the side window on my (real) aircraft (PA28 Warrior), I have to verify if the cap is always good, if I have kept the same altitude...etc.Even I use the trim, the plane is instable because, the most of time, the air is instable (and I don't speak about propeller effect).The solution to have an aircraft stable: the autopilot. But the most of our small aircraft havn't an AP.It's the same thing in Fly! Normally it would be the same think in the others sims.Ren

boshar,Are you aware of the following?Under the Aircraft menu there is an Options... menu which has two groups of settings: one for Trim Steps and the other for Exponential. The default settings are incorrect - in order to obtain proper handling and control characteristics, these must be set for each aircraft.1. Load an aircraft2. Go to the Aircraft, Options... menu3. Set all Trim Steps to 14. Set all Exponential to 100%5. Do this for every aircraftThe aircraft should now handle properly.Whenever you patch up to a new level, it's necessary to erase the *.HST files (history files) for the aircraft. Fly!II will create new history files, but that will also knock out the aircraft options. You'll need to reload each aircraft and reset all of these parameters again (whenever you've updated or erased these files).As a former pilot, one of the reasons I enjoy Fly! so much is the realistic handling and performance of many of the aircraft. Some are better than others, however.I would also recommend downloading Rob Young's updates for the Flyhawk and the Pilatus for improved flight dynamics. Happy Fly!ing!

Randall Rocke

That's it this did the trick. Thanks for the advice.I can't believe I didn't read this somewhere sooner. If been Fly ing with Fly! II for almost a year now and I never came acros this information. I figured out the trim step problem by myself but never touched the other settings. This sim just got much beter. Its almost as easy to control as the FS2K2 aircraft but I see some subtle wind effects I never seen in the Microsoft sim. Will lookup the Rob Young updates soon.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

I'm glad this was the ticket for you! Yeh, I can't believe this got left out of the FAQ, as the default settings in this area are really off. Mattering on your control configuration, a great sim can seem almost uncontrollable without these settings.

Randall Rocke