Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Thank you, Canada

Guest Allan Jones

As we face the first anniversary of the heinous attacks against America, I wish to once again thank our Canadian brothers and sisters for their gracious friendship that, although always strong, was so evident one year ago.I just finished watching a PBS documentary called "Stranded Yanks." It related the experiences of American travelers whose aircraft were diverted to Canadian airports when US airspace was closed.I was partly aware of this hospitality through a Canadian member of this forum who reported some of the activities in his town during the period immediately after Sept 11. He was too modest.The documentary brought home to me the incredible scale and scope of the caring friendship poured out by so many Canadians for total strangers in need. I was struck that, in tripping over each other to report the morbid, the mass media failed to point out a significant bright spot. This documentary succeeded where they failed.Watching the show, I cried, I laughed, and I felt once again that something good can came from something so horrific. It dulled the hurt. As long as there are humans willing to give of themselves to people in need, then this world stands a good chance of prevailing against those who seek anarchy.Because I now know more of these "random acts of kindness," I will have a better September 11, 2002, and tackle the day with a renewed hope.To our friends to the North, I lift my glass. I will teach my son to sing your beautiful anthem and to always remember your kindness and friendship.God Keep Your Land Glorious and Free!

Allan,Well said! :-beerchug I've always considered Canada a second home. I have family from Ottawa and during my youth I spent many summers (at the family cottage - Pike Lake) up there. Also spent some winters there too, I love snow, but not that much..... :-laugh1 I'll never forget how friendly and kind the people are.Regards,Bob Lyddy

I would add my thanks - not only for the Canadians, but to the many Europeans who extended the hand of care and sympathy to the many Americans stranded overseas at that time. I know, as I was one of them.There were about 10,000 travelers stranded in Amsterdam alone in the first couple of days following the attack. The Dutch were kind, patient, and thoughtful under difficult circumstances, and on this day I wish to extend again my thanks for their hospitality. Also, a thank you to the German TV crew that was documenting the event there - they were extremely courteous and careful in their coverage and interviews.

Randall Rocke