Sign in to follow this  

Want more disk space?

Guest Milio_B

Then get rid of this stupid feature!!!!!!Let's face it, how many times have you used System Resore? Isn't it easier to just uninstall programs/drivers than having your comp suck your memory in order to have a restore point per day???Well, if click my PC, Properties and the System Restore, you can set the amount of memory you want Windows to use. My recommendation: LOWEST!!!!!That feature takes up to 3 GIGABYTES of your disk space (depending on the total memory it has). Which means LOTS of planes for FS :(So get rid of it!!!Also, you can turn disable the service that runs in the bacground in WinXP (System Resotre Service)This will also free up some RAM, and give you more FPS!!!

HiIt's also worth cutting down your IE6 cache if you have a large disk. Even 250MB will help fanatics like us with 100's of aircraft. :) Hopefully one day MS will realise that it might like bloatware, but we don't. As far as the system restore goes, I've only used it once, or at least tried to. The windows update installed a P3 processor "update" to my laptop which caused the fan to turn off, nearly fried the processor and kept crashing on standby and hibernate. Did using the system restore sort this problem?No. I also know someone else who was duped by a dodgy Intel "update" which left his IDE controller incapable of accessing the CD-ROM drive. Again, this necessitated a re-install of the OS, in that case 98SE not XP. Interestingly, after I had to totally reinstall the OS, I could not find the P3 update on the site...hmm...My advice? Turn off system restore and restore points and save the resources by using XP's Automated System Recovery procedure. Once you have your system how you want it, that is. If you make a major change, renew the ASR backup before you do. I've used this several times and it worked flawlessly. It will take about 1.5GB of harddisk space though...Best regards//Neil

Your right!! My system had 4577MB of space to be used by system restore!! Wondered why all my HD was getting used up :-lolIs there anyway to delete any previous system restore files to free up the space again?http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/edenw/fs_banner_je1.jpg Think highly of yourself, for the world takes you at your estimate -Anon

Guest Milio_B

By disabling the system restore service you delete all previous files. You can enable it if you want to make a BIG change to your system, but normally it's not worth it.

Actually,I had to do a system restore just moments ago. Microsoft told me via Windows update that they had a better video driver that was made for my HP so I thought, what the heck, I can always go back to 28.32 drivers if I don't like this new driver made by HP for my system. WRONG!after installation couldn't reboot, computer couldn't find system.ini, EMERGENCY DISK, to the rescue. Ran SCANREG /RESTORE, no joy, computer can't start. SHoot!!!! Bit the bullet safe mode, system restore, better than a complete reload of WindowsME. :)So I lose a bit of space, but out of 120 G I can afford a few megabytes.All in all, I don't see this feature as stupid at all, but a net for those of us that are not of the GURU types.http://members.cox.net/wb5okj/sig.jpg

sounds like "goBack" or Ghost". parachute. bulky, but reassuring. tom.t

System restore is indeed a good idea, but most people never use it and for them it is a waste of diskspace. Who knows, maybe when rewritable DVDs become mainstream you'll be able to back up to DVD and boot from that to restore...Just like the old days when you did a backup to tape (CD just doesn't have the capacity).

Had a similar problem, system would not load properly because the video card couldn't initialize. It was either stay in 800X600 mode or reinstall everything. Then I found the system restore, and most everything was back to normal.Agreed, it seems stupid till the day you really really need it. Its worth the space IMO.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest BrianC

Well, it's like car and home insurance. Nobody needs it until they're in a crash or their house catches fire.

Guest BrianC

System Restore is not as intrusive as you think. If you run out of disk space System Restore will be automatically disabled and the restore space will be freed. Of course, this means your restore points go out with it.Personally I enable it on only my system partition and limit it to a halfway reasonable value (400MB I think) on an 8GB partition.

Can someone tell me where I find this? I clicked on My Computer but do not see an option for System Restore? I'd at least like to limit it.Thanks!Lance

Start...Programs...Accessories...System Toolsat least on ME, not sure about XP and it isn't part of Win98.Saved my butt so many times I could never go back to win98. Especially that absolute ease of dumping Directx8.1 when it made my sound during sim sessions "#####" constantly!michaelEDIT: #####, Tom? I can't use the f word that describes passing gas?? Even my mother didn't consider f a r t to be a swearword!! :D

I've used system restore before and it works great which is why I'm keeping it :) Once I kept getting a message saying Windows has recovered from a serious error.. and so on everytime I booted up windows. Well after a month of clicking Ok to close the window I decided to try system restore to a month back and it was fixed. I also used it when IE 6 would crash everytime more than one window was open which meant every pop up add meant bye bye IE. I think I'll leave system restore on it's been working great on XP Pro for me :)Jason

Thanks for the replies. I don't see "System Restore" in Windows 2000 under start/programs/accessories? I do see a system backup, but not restore where I can adjust the settings?Thanks!Lance

Guest Milio_B

Well, I think tghis advice is useful for those who wonder why they HD is nearly full when they don't have anything isntalled...REstore points do take a lot of space, so I wouldn't recommend letting Windows use more than 1GB of your space....It can save you once or twice, but you shouldn't use it all the time if your system is stable and you know what you're doing. I only started this to let people know there IS a feature that takes a lot of space and that CAN be disabled with no big risks.