Sign in to follow this  
Guest JeffB

Using Fly2 w/Radeon 9700 Pro?

Guest twsimfan

Is it possible to use Fly2 with a 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 Pro?I picked up a copy of Fly2 in a shovelware pack with 4 other flight games for $9.95. I installed it and the screen pretty much just flickers... oh I can see a Skyhawk rotating amoungst the flickers... but it is not usable. I downloaded a bunch of patches... I think I got all the right ones... installed them... in the right order (I think)... tried it after each patch... always the same... except there are more aircraft on the list.Is there a fix for this? If not I guess I haven't lost much...

$9.95 / 5 = $1.99

Can you give me any hope on this?Thanks for any help. :-sun1

Hi Tom, I'm not the brightest on display problems, but the Radeon series should work. Might I suggest to: First, check out the top of the The Fly Discussion Forum. Several of the anchored items contain info for new Fly!ers and includes proper steps to update the sim to Beta .230 . One thing to think on -quite a few reported having problems if they updated the Global Elevations. Also, depending upon one's video card, you may or may not require one of the two video updates that were issued. Doesn't hurt to download, but be sure to read the readme BEFORE installing - and save the proper .dll files first. The only other thing would be to try the memory calculator (FLy! II Misc.) and "tweak" the video settings. There are plenty of topics covering this aspect. Vsit Ken Salter's website; there is an article explaining the mysteries of the render.ini file. :-) Won't be too much different from our having done tweaking on FU III after it came out, eh? Am sure (crossing fingers and hoping!) someone else will come by and lend a hand on this issue!Cheers,Ken WoodCNN International Weather :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest ben_

TomThe default opening for Fly!2 is a rotating Skyhawk at SFO.If it's night you may be seeing a very rapid rotaion of runway lights.Hit the 'C' key and it will take you into the cockpit (camera views hitting 'c' are spot, cockpit,fly-by, observer ).If it's night it might be worth hitting the 'T' key to move time forward 30 minutes (SHIFT-T to reverse time 30 min).Hit the 'E' key for auto-start.Good luck - it may be the start of yet another sim addiction :-) .Ben

Guest twsimfan

Ken,I hadn't seen Ken Salter's write up on what patches to put in and in what order... but I have now and I believe that I did that part right. I also put in both the video patches. I have tried different settings/combinations of settings and I am still seeing a flickering mess. I can only hope that someone will come along with specific knowledge of this video card with this sim. Thanks you very much for your efforts... I do appreciate it. :)

Guest twsimfan

Ben,While I do appreciate your response please understand that what I am seeing cannot possibly be a normal view within Fly2 or any other sim. I didn't use it a lot but I do have Fly2K on my old system and it works fine. The difference between night and day in my current setup with Fly2 is the difference between a dark psycadellic display & a bright psycadellic display. As far as a new sim addiction goes... got more now than time to indulge in them. Thanks again for taking the time to reply! ;-)

Tom,Try using the normal DirectX8 driver instead of the DirectX8 T&L option on the Graphic Options dialog at startup. Many newer cards are having an issue with our T&L implementation, which might be an issue with your card. You won't lose much using the normal driver (at least, with the problems you're having you have nothing to lose and much to gain).Rich

Guest twsimfan

Rich,I had tried that. In fact I even tried DirectX7 out of desperation. But to be absolutly sure I went in and tried it again. It is actually worse... in addition to the flickering the plane has brightly colored rods of light emiting from it at odd angles, or perhaps growing from it might be more accurate (seriously... & I do mean with DX8).I was hoping that you might just be the one to happen along and point me to the "quick & easy" fix. If you don't know the answer then I guess the odds are that there isn't one.I really do appreciate that you took the time to respond... and like you said... I had nothing to lose by trying. :)

Guest JeffB

Tom,Take a look at your Render.ini file (located in the systems directory).Check this this line:[Graphics]mipLevelCount=5vertexIndexFormat=0 <<<<<<<<<<<

that's exactly what I was going to suggest.cheers

Guest twsimfan

Jeff,That made a world of difference. Now I guess I need to download the manual to get the controls sorted out and try to figure out how to get some realistic scenery to look at. Thanks again! :)

>Now I guess I need to >download the manual to get the controls sorted out and try >to figure out how to get some realistic scenery to look at. If you want to be impressed..... download the SO-CAL scenery. Large file, but very photo-real from altitude. I wish all scenery in "any" sim looked somewhat like this from altitude. L.Adamson

Another one........................... these are old pics, and I really need to create some new ones!L.Adamson

Guest twsimfan

Mr Adamson,Like I said over on the FU Forum... very pretty pictures indeed. I still need to get the controls sorted out but I had some tips on doing that in today's chat. So I will check out that scenery. Thank you! :)

Guest JeffB

Tom,Would you let us know what kind of frame rates you get? Also, if you're using FSAA, let us know what kind of frame rates (and computer specs).Glad I could help,Jeff