Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

The secret of high and steady fps...pics and render.ini

Guest tonyc

After Richard's clear explanation of how FLY handles scenery, I took another look at my set and did the following:1. brand new render.ini for my t3200 video card2. check how scenery is loaded as the plane is scrolled around the scenery and its effect on the fps.3. see what effect lowering the High Resoultion and Medium Resolution settings would have on overall fps.Conclusion:1. correct allocation of the 256x tiles is the most important ones.2. the Medium resolution setting is deadly on fps. Here are pictures of these settings and the resulting fps. Let's start this thread. And, by the way, this is the wonderful Poretta.zip file for msfs2002, which is available on Avsim.Incidentally, that particular point in the pic was giving me 9-10 fps because it was, for a very brief moment, accessing the Hard drive.I've included the render.ini as an attached file for comments.tony

Guest artl

...>>I've included the render.ini as an attached file for >comments. >>>I think that you must have checked "jpeg picture", instead of "text file" when attaching your render.ini, so it is not visible to us. Why not just post it here "in-line"... Art.

The render.ini shows up fine when I click on it but I'm curious why you have "maxTextures64=" listed twice: third line under Textures as =128 and last line under Textures as =16. Would Fly! read in both lines or does the second overwright the first?Don

Guest tonyc

Good catch, Don. I had not seen it( you know, yuo look at it so much that you don't see it). I don't think it's needed, and I will remove it. Of course.....if my fps drop......then we migh have discovered something.;-)tony

Guest tonyc

Ok. The video card is a G3T200. Sorry for the typo.tony

I'm trying your render.ini on my setup, and so far, I like the results. Incidentally, what card do you have exactly? I have a geForce3 ti200 w/ 128MB memory. I think this may be the same card you have. Is that so? I'm still looking for way to tweak to get the most out of my 128MB. So far, the one thing that has a major impact was to reduce my aperture memory to 64 MB.

Guest tonyc

Your agp aperture is too much. You'll find that this size aperture automatically calls system ram and quickly lowers your fps. I have exactly the same card as you do: a g3 t200 128 meg. Incidentally, I have my agp aperture set to 8 or 16, I don't remember, but I will check next time I reboot. I have experimented with all the other settings, and, alas, sims are simply too cpu dependant. In fact, I always upgrade my cpu before doing the same with the video. I am waiting for the amd xp 2800 to come down in price. As for how FLY loads scenery and its effect on that occasional low fps, I suspect that it's a coding issue( and by choice), as Richard already explained. I tell you, with these ini settings I get absolutely no pauses or erratic fps. The mid range scenery setting is a killer because it looks at the static scenery. tony

I haven't given your render.ini a shot yet but I'm going to. I also have a 128mb card. I'm going to be upgrading my CPU beginning of year and can't wait to see FLY2 then.Incidentily I noticed a huge drop in performance on my system whenever flying in clouds. I noticed whenever clouds are present the 256k slots go crazy. So increasing them I had almost no performance hit.I'm going to try your render.ini out and see as well as lowering my AGP apeture size.

Hi Tony,Just two questions.Do you use antialiasing?The framerates shown on the screenshots are high , butwhat are they when you make visibility to the max?

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest tonyc

yes. it's at 2x.yes, at 60 there's a drop in fps. But does one really see a difference when vis is set at 60?tony