Sign in to follow this  
Guest Josve

Fly! II Final Patch 2.50.240 Released

(edited to anchor)Well, the day has finally arrived (better late than never). After a very rough and bumpy year, the Fly! Beta team is very proud to announce the imminent release and availability of the "final" Fly! II patch. I have just released the files to the AVSIM crew, and hopefully they will be appearing in the file libraries in the next 24 hours. The final version has been tagged 2.50.240. This patch is for both PC and Macintosh users (another victory!). If you want to prepare your machines for the patch, here's what you need to do. For PC users, you need to already be patched to version 2.00.210 or higher (so, all of those already on patch 230 are fine). If you are a Mac user, you simply need to have the boxed retail version of Fly! II installed (since there are no previous Mac patches). Now, before everyone gets there hopes up, this patch release is not nearly as "extensive" as the 230 patch was (though, it is inclusive of all the 230 changes). Whereas the previous patch had hundreds of changes, this patch has a smaller set. I would argue, though, that this patch is probably more significant in that the majority of fixes made have greatly improved the stability of the product. Throughout testing, we found very ugly and serious crash situations, and eliminated every situation we could find. This was particularly prevalent while using ATC or computer aircraft. Alot of progress was also made in the weather system, and you should be pleased to see a much more accurate correlation of weather to the imported METAR reports. There are also some long overdue fixes that affect things like PMDG aircraft models that are included.But, all good things must come to an end. This release constitutes the FINAL PATCH for the Fly! II series. As you may know, the last 18 months of patch development has literally been through the volunteer efforts of the Fly! Beta team formed here from the AVSIM user community. I really did not expect that this patch would ever see the light of day, given my serious health problems that began early this year. It is because of those issues that I am also positive there will be no further patch development, simply because I have done everything I can do without a huge investment of time, and time is something I have very little of right now.I hope each of you takes an opportunity to give your thanks to the individuals listed below, without which this release would never have happened:Alejandro AmigorenaAllan JonesAllen KriesmanAnthony MertonBraun TaconChris WallaceColin Sare-SoarDann ChurchDan MartinDean KarisDominique KleinElrond ElvishFrank D'hontFranklin TesslerJeff BurkeJim KanoldJohn Sippy John WimbushKen SalterLefteris KalamarasMarc StoeringPaul NielsonPete SterlingRandall RockeRich PlourdeRichard HarveyRobert RandazzoTodd KlausWilliam MarinThe Beta team would also like to extend our great thanks and appreciation to AVSIM for supporting the team during our test cycle. In particular, kudos go out to:Tom AllensworthScott BrazellMatt JohnsonA final thanks and pat on the back goes to the community itself. Without your input and continued interest in the Fly! franchise, none of us would have taken the time and effort to tackle this project.I hope each and every one of you has a wonderful holiday season, and a happy New Year. Please take time this holiday season to be with those you love. If you can't be together, pick up a phone and call your family or friends and remind them how much they mean to you, and how wonderful the gift of life is to each of us.I hope you enjoy the patch.Richard HarveyProducer/Lead ProgrammerFly!/Fly! 2K/Fly! IITerminal Reality Inc.

Dear RichI've just stumbled on your Mac patch, and it was a biiiig surprise for me as I was convinced that due to your actual health situation the patch would be cancelled. But I accepted it gladly hoping only that you could spend these last weeks in good conditions with your family and friends. My heartily thanks goes to you and the whole beta-testing team who has spent much time and energy for all the Fly!-fans.Rich, I wish you and your family a beautiful Christmas. As I'm deeply convinced that life is not bound to this physical realm, I'm sure you'll make your way whatever will happen.Thank you for your courage and dedication.Max

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Rich, There are no words that I could express to let you know personally the care and gratitude I extend towards you as I believe I speak for everyone when I say you are truly a very unique and gifted human being. In light of what you have faced and are facing at this point in time, it is uncomprehendable that ANY individual would have done what you have. I have been a supporter of Fly!2 since it's inception but frankly what matters more is the person and the spirit that I have seen behind that product. It is truly difficult for me to understand some things that happen in this life and frankly I have a lot of bitter attitudes towards many things. All I really want to get across to you is that you have MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THIS WORLD BIG TIME! Although we have never met personally, I can assure you that your life and experiences have motivated me to change my own life. From the bottom of my heart, I give you & yours the warmest deepest wishes for you to have peace and all that it may offer and all my thanks for being such a pinnacle of rare human achievement!Sincerely,

I hope that the holiday season will be a good one for you and yours, Richard.Thanks so much for your efforts.You are a true hero.

Guest chezz

Hi Rich, I read this final patch news with mixed emotions; first I'm happy that another patch was released and a bit sad because this is the final patch that I'm getting from the person who have placed his heart to what he loves doing with so much passion and unselfish dedication. You are an inspiration to me and I believe to others as well.To the beta team who offered their time and talent thank you and congratulations for an excellent job.Rich you are always remembered in our prayers.Happy holidays to you and your family.chrisrpll

Yes indeed-'unselfish dedication'.God bless you Rich.

Dear Rich,thank you and the beta team for the new patch! :)Just want to let you know that I enjoy Fly!2 very very much. Thank you and your team for such a great sim!I wish you all the best!Happy holidays and a happy New Year!Robert:-rotorEDCJ

My english expression is not so very good I would, but I try to explain my thinking. Just this words : Love from a simple french guy that enjoys flying with your child. Thank you simply.I told you some time ago, the story of my brother in law. He was quasi dead with the VIH and he is still alive today. I hope for you, and your family, a same such story. Merry Xmas and happy new year to your family.

Guest Ken_Salter

Make sure all files are not READ ONLY before installing the patch!Regards,Ken

Guest tonyc

I am in tears. Thank you Richard.tony

Hi everyone,I've downloaded and installed the 2.50.240 patch but when I load a METAR file, Fly!II closes and I come back to Windows XP (Pro). I'm not the only one to meet that problem ...Could you help me ? Thank you very much ;-)Damien BRUNET (LFQQ)e-mail : udb@fr.stUDB, L'Univers de Damien BRUNEThttp://www.udb.fr.st/

Guest crashing_pilot

Hey Rich...i so so hope you're not reading this...have a wonderfull time with your family and friends.keep it up mate.

Guest Henri W

Richard,I don't know what to say. I do not think any other person in your circumstances would make this effort. I am wishing you and your family all the best. I wished so much there was a patch to your health problems.Henri

Guest DSandberg

Did you have the 230 patch installed previously? And if so, do you have a file named PATCH.POD in your Fly2/System folder? And if so, what is the date on that file, and is it readonly?Also, I take it you are using a French-localized release of Fly II, not an English build? Just trying to track down the cause ...- David Sandberg (creator of InfoMETAR)