Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Svertex failure tonyC (or others)can you expand?

Tony,in your reply to the low frame rate in different views query you mentioned about checking and, if necessary, adjusting the AGP setting in the BIOS. Could you explain what this all means in simple terms as I have recently kept getting the draw indexed primitive Svertex failed messsage which I seem to have got around by not using direct-X T and L.Thanks,:-wave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am not an expert, but it goes: the agp aperture setting allocates ram memory during those applications in which the video memory runs out. So, the rule of thumb is to allocate half of the ram size to the agp aperture setting. For example, if you have 256 meg of ram, your agp setting can go as high as 128 meg. For FLY2, the agp aperture can create a frame rate dilemma: if FLY2 requires more video memory during its normal run( atc,clouds, scenery, etc), the agp setting allows the video card to borrow memory from ram. Here's the problem: since ram memory is a lot slower than video memory(because of the fact that memory has to go through the bus), FLY2 will experience a drop in fps as soon as the normal ram is called. The only way to prevent this ram from being called is to ensure that the program uses only video memory. Of course, if FLY2 needs more video memory(remember how you allocate video memory with the Render.ini?)but the agp aperture setting is set too low, the program will generate a vertex error. So, it's a balancing act between slow frame rates and a vertex error. If you don't over allocate video memory with your render.ini, you should have the best of both worlds. I have a 128 meg card and keep my agp at 32. This keeps me flying at very high frame rates, high 20's with everything on, including dynamic scenery. there have been thread with many examples of good render.ini for 64 and 128 meg cards. I noticed that the new ATI cards will offer 256 megs. This will be the card for FLY2. If you still have questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you. My system is a xp2000, 512 meg and a g3ti128 video card, and win98.tony