Sign in to follow this  

graphic problems in greater than 1024 x 768 resolution

Been lurking for a few weeks now, and after reinstalling Fly2 I installed all the patches and a few of the add-ons I read where I can increase the resolution in Fly2 to greater than 1024x768.I play on a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200 w/ Geforce 4 440 Go vidcard) and have tried changing the resolution between 1600x1200 and 1400x1050 (both 16 bit) and there are graphic problems in both.When I change cockpit view and look left, right, up, down...when I come back to the main cockpit view, the panel refreshes, the view outside refreshes, but there is a portion of the window that doesn't....the graphics just flicker and generally look bad in that section.Does anyone know if there are any fixes for this?Thanks.mogwai

Guest andrewluck

MogwaiAs far as I'm aware this is one of the things you have to live with if you increase the resolution beyond 1024x768. I prefer to use 1024x768 and anti-aliasing. It gives a similar look but without the same problems.RegardsAndrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Thanks Andrew. The lower resolution is probably preferable anyway, but I run into a problem when I use lower resolution as the instruments are much more readable.Is this graphic problem related to all graphics card or have people tried various cards, drivers all with the same problem?Since I'm on a laptop, if I turn the resolution of Fly down to 1024x768, the window that Fly is in is only about 3/4 of the size of the monitor. There is a black border about an inch or more wide around the game.Any idea why this is? if I can solve this I'll be alright.mogwai

To answer my own question, it appears this is a function of the LCD display on laptops.FYI for those who may read this in the future.generally, more often than not, laptop display sizes are fixed at 1600x1200. To accomodate for this display setting on programs where the display resolution is less than that, the computer will do 1 of 2 things;1. stretch the display of the program from the smaller size to fill up the complete monitor. Result is that things may be blurry.2. Do not allow the screen to be stretched, but display the program in the smaller resolution size, which results in a black border around the program display.mogwai

Mogwai,I also have an Inspiron 8200 and use the 1024X768 resolution. The whole of the screen is utilised with no border. I don't understand why you should have the black border.I don't know how to take and send screenshots but if someone could give me step-by-step instructions I'll post one so you can see.:-wave

flyfisher,You give me hope!!! Horray! No need for a screenshot as if there is no black border, I believe you.Drop me an email and let me know what your system configuration is...maybe we have different setup??? I'm running a Dell Inspiron 8200P4 1.6GHz256 MB RamNvidia Geforce 4 440 Go (dell Mobile) vidcardIs this similar to yours?mogwaioh, drop me an email at tnolte@satx.rr.com and maybe you can help me work this out?

This is just a note to post the resolution to the problem I described above for anyone else who experiences it in the future.I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 that is relatively new (September 2002) and called Dell to try to figure out how to 'stretch the screen' in lower resolutions...all I had to do was hit Fn + f7. That's it. 2 keys and problem solved.mogwai