Sign in to follow this  

FS_import question.

I see that FSi will update the Fly!II databases when importing FS2k2 scenery, but will it only update addon FS2k2 sceneries? For instance, I want to get Ranger Creek in Washington St. into Fly!II, if I get some 3rd party scenery that add's buildings etc to the default Ranger Creek in FS2k2 and then import it into Fly!II, will the runway information, airport ID etc show up in Fly!II? Or, does it have to be a complete new airport in FS2k2 for the Fly!II database to be updated? Compounding on that question, seeing as FS_import can update Fly!II data, what is stopping us from importing all of the airports in FS2k2 into Fly!II? Okay, maybe now all, but would there be anyway to decompile the list of airports in FS2k2 and pick & choose the ones we want into Fly!II? I'm not really even talking about the airport buildings etc, just the runway information.Do any of these questions make sense?Pieter

Guest Dean

>I see that FSi will update the Fly!II databases when>importing FS2k2 scenery, but will it only update addon FS2k2>sceneries? For instance, I want to get Ranger Creek in>Washington St. into Fly!II, if I get some 3rd party scenery>that add's buildings etc to the default Ranger Creek in FS2k2>and then import it into Fly!II, will the runway information,>airport ID etc show up in Fly!II? Or, does it have to be a>complete new airport in FS2k2 for the Fly!II database to be>updated? >>Compounding on that question, seeing as FS_import can update>Fly!II data, what is stopping us from importing all of the>airports in FS2k2 into Fly!II? Okay, maybe now all, but would>there be anyway to decompile the list of airports in FS2k2 and>pick & choose the ones we want into Fly!II? I'm not really>even talking about the airport buildings etc, just the runway>information.FSI will only convert third party sceneries for FS2000/2002. This also answers the second part of your question. By design, the utility will not convert default FS scenery. Unfortunately there are some potential copyright issues that could exist in converting anything but third party addon scenery. Adding additional buildings to a default scenery area would probably result in only the additional buildings showing up in Fly II as the default scenery wouldn't convert. The runway, taxiway and ILS data would be default Fly II.Near as I can figure. :-)

Hello Pieter,FSI takes whatever information (3D scenery, taxiways, runways, NAV data) is in the ADD-ON BGL files and generates equivalent versions for Fly!II. It refuses to interpret the default MSFS files for obvious reasons. Thus your ADD-ON for Ranger Creek in Washington State would have to contain runway for this to be carried over to Fly!II. Many ADD-ONs do actuallly replace runways/taxiways etc. I suppose that MSFS scenery designers have a tool to extract these from the default. Personally, most of the sceneries that I have converted have runway and taxiway info.One other limit is that the airport must already exist in Fly!II as FSI (in it current version) cannot add new airports.Padraic (Podjoe) Morgan.