Sign in to follow this  
zfehr

IFR approaches to smaller airports

Hello all,Glad to find an active FlyII forum. I recently reloaded FlyII and patched up to 250.240 with globe update. I also loaded in ROTW's excellent TBM700 (one of the main reasons for doing all this, I flew one in 1996 and I still dream about it!).I am having trouble understanding how to get the program to bring you in to approach to a smaller airport. For example, I planned a flight from MYF to DVT using the TBM700. When reaching Phoenix I am instructed to switch to PHX approach and am given vector for landing at KPHX, even if I bring up DVT menu and select approach/departure (same frequency) I am still given approach clearance to KPHX. If I contact DVT tower I am told to execute missed approach, which will lead me back to landing at KPHX. What part did I do wrong or miss.BTW beautiful job ROTW on the TBM700, look forward to a patch for Windows XP. Also since updating to 250.240 patch the VOR 2 in the TBM rotates the wrong direction... anyone else notice this?ZaneAthlon XP2000+512 DDR 2100Geforce 4 MX420 64MBWindow XP homeFlyII 250.240CH Pro USB Yoke and Pedals

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest andrewluck

ZaneHaven't done a great deal with the canned ATC since discovering Vatsim. However, it usually did a reasonable job. I'll give your flight plan a try and let you know what happens.Don't have the Pilatus or TBM selected as your default aircraft. If you start in the FlyHawk and then switch aircraft the HSI works a lot better.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Guest andrewluck

ZaneJust flew this route in the TBM.Most of the problems are caused by PHX sharing an approach frequency with DVT. In the real world this is probably the case as they're so close together, but it causes problems such as you've seen in Fly! world.I closed my IFR flightplan near PHX and opened a VFR one. This allowed DVT tower to give me instructions to land as they weren't then expecting to have me handed off from approach.To fix this I suspect you'd have to edit the Comm database and change DVT's approach frequency. Don't know how DVT's lack of an ILS runway would impact this though.Edit: Going to have to try this again using C4TO instead of the inbuilt ATC.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Andrew,Thanks for the quick reply. The frequency explanation makes perfect sense. I'll have to look into C4TO. As a real world pilot I have to say I prefer what I've seen in FlyII over MS FS2k2. Microsoft has the eye candy and with MyTraffic loads of traffic, but I like practicing actual panel scans, working switches, etc.Have fun flying,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest dajackman

Is there a fix for this. I love the TBM!!!

I found that the reversed rotation of the VOR2 bezel only occurred on a saved flight. Opened a new flight and everything works fine, save for the two buttons on the EFIS that ROTW is working to fix (Win2K/XP problem).

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest dajackman

This ia also the case is you are using persistant world....kinda defeats the purpose.

I found the problem :). When I installed Fly!II I followed all the patch protocol and globe update but also installed the video patch for GeForce cards... fortunately I backed up the original directx8 & TL files. I rolled back to the original video files (because of troubles with TL... still don't have that stable) and now ATC will follow my flight plan. Flew to DVT no problem. Have no idea why the video patch would have any effect on ATC but that is the only change. I was also prompted to try this because I couldn't even complete a flight to KSFO, approach kept wanting me to land at SQF!!! If you've had the same difficulty try rolling back the video drivers.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888