Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Runway in the water

Why is this runway in the water? Sky Harbor airport.

Because the generic scenery coastlines for that body of water are out of position in Fly! II. The runways are probably in the proper locations.

Guest spenik

I don't know but thats a riping machine you have that gives you 32 fps at 1024 res!

Guest juvat2

Hi KMiller,Kind of the same thing happens to me with Fly(1), except I get all water, no run-ways, nothing, just water. I suspect the landclass is wrong from my Fly cd and even though it is allowing me to create logged flights from Sanderson to Bremerton, there's not really "Fly!" land under the gears. I hope I'm wrong though. With my dial-up, creating my own pods or downloading someone elses here at the library is impossible.Jim Buffett

If you like this airport and would like to use it, "repairing" the water problem may not be a big issue. First check whether the water area is actually registered as land. (slew the aircraft off the runway and set it down on the "water" - if it doesn't sink the surface is actually land - try several spots around the runway to make sure it's safe).If you sink, then it will take some advanced work to fix the problem. If your testing shows that the surrounding area is solid, you're in great shape! Make sure you're upgraded to the v240 level with Fly!II. Download and install the Terrascene 2.1 program - follow the instructions and extract the textures. Then TerraScene the environs of the airport - Voila! - the land and water (graphically) will now be in their proper places and you can use the airport normally.

I just went to Sky Harbor Airport in Phenix and my ruways are solid grey. I have not addons installed.Titus

It is Sky Harbor in Minnasota.I did slew and it is land for most of the "water", but as you slew further it becomes water.I have Terrascene, so I will run it for this airport.Thanks for replies.Re: frame rates, it is quite fast. I just installed new motherboard, cpu & memory in my computer.specs: Soltek SL-75FRN-L nForc2 board Athlon XP 1700 at XP 2200 speed (11x166) 512MB DDR 2700 memory Geforce 3 64MB video windows 2000 pro all Fly II sliders maxed out ( i.e. best detail ) 2x antilising

No change after Terrascene generation. I slewed plane.

I took a look at the area - it appears from this image that DYT sits on a narrow "sandbar"-type island. No wonder it's surrounded by water. I would guess that only TerraScening will build such a thin promentory:

Looking at the tiles through TerraScene, Duluth sits at the intersection of the 1/4 tiles of that global tile. In order for the TerraScenery to appear, I would estimate the eastern 2 1/4 tiles would have to be rendered. This should give you the island, but would still leave out the major portion of Duluth. For best results, I would recommend rendering the entire global tile.It's also possible that there is no USGS data for the island - this is sometimes the case when the scenery borders on a coastline. In that case, you may be able to construct the island with Tiger Census shapefiles.

Guest Colins2

HiFor the ground tiles that are actually land, i.e. solid, you need to get Ground Type Transform from the library.This excellent utility from Elrond Elvish and Jim Kanold will allow you to change the texture from water to land for the default scenery.You will need to slew around in the editor to get a list of tiles that are affected.Colin

When I ran Terrascene, I used 5 mile airport radius. Wouldn't this have included the eastern 1/4 tiles?I dwnloaded Ground Type Transform and will play around w/ it.

I ran Ground Type Transform for Globe=190,165; Tile=34,31 and no change. See pic.

In this case, you would have had a small portion of four 1/4 tiles - they intersect very near the airport. Did you end up with TerraScenery to the south (Wisconsin) and Duluth city proper (Minnesota) to the west? If so, then TS worked fine - it just didn't have any info from USGS on the narrow island.You'll note from the image I posted that water comes very near to the runway on its south side. The island is mainly to the north of the strip - there should be solid land on the north side of the strip and on both ends. If the plane doesn't sink in those locations, there is no need for Ground Type Transform in this case.I may be able to create the island from Tiger Census shapefiles for you and send you the data for rendering. I just can't do it for a few days as I am involved in other projects.

Randall,Thanks for your effort with this. If you can create, that would be great. I am not familar with Tiger Census. Only do it if you have the free time. There is no rush for me to have this.Kline Miller

Guest Colins2

KlineGround Tile Transform will only change the type for the default scenery. If you are TerraScening the area then that scenery will be displayed instead.Colin

As this area is an intersection of the 1/4 tiles for the 190,165 global tile, I'm guessing Fly! couldn't load the scenery you made - you really need to be "snapped to the grid" so that you can load on tile borders areas. The smallest scenery you could make would probably be the 2 east 1/4 tiles, which would also have given you all of the island DYT sits on. As you can see, there are no problems as far as USGS data for that area:

I would highly recommend rendering and slicing the entire global tile, as you'll then have the entire Duluth area. This will also pick up the KDLH (Duluth International) airport area. Here are some more pics:Over DYT:

As you can see, the land is "solid" all around the runway. There is absolutely no need for Ground Transform. You can add taxiways, etc. and have yourself a nice little airport here.

Looking to the SE and the Wisconsin shoreline:

Over DLH - Duluth International is a short distance away. The additional scenery is the work of Wayne Roberts:

There are some anomolies in the data whuch will leave a black bar through the middle of the city of Duluth. I recommend rendering the images without slicing, editing the bar out with Photoshop or a similar editing program, then continuing with slicing the scenery to get the best results. If you would prefer, I could upload the entire TS data pack (including the edited image) to Avsim. Then you could download and render the finished scenery. I would be able to do this in about 24 hours.

Randall,Great work. It is a nice little runway. If you could do the TS and edit, that would be great. I have Photoshop, but what you are talking about is above my knowledge level. I have a cable modem, so downloading will not be an issue.Thanks again for your effort.Kline Miller

Kline,The project has been uploaded to the library - the name is Duluth. :-)

Randall,I am downloading as I type. Thanks for your work on this.I look forward to putting it yo use.Kline

Good! Paul "Bart" Simpson's putting the airport together for this (down to the trees on the north side of the runway) so keep an eye out for it.