Sign in to follow this  
Guest pilotsim7828

Where should I store taxiway files?

The only thing that seems to work is to place the *.tms and *.bgr files directly into the Data folder.What not seems to work is:- To place these files in a subfolder of the Data folder- To place these files in a subfolder of the Taxiways folder- To pod the files and to place the *.pod file in the DatafolderI would like to have an oversight of these files, so I would like to place the files of a certain country together in a separate file or subfolder.Any suggestions how to do this?

Hans,The proper way to store taxiways is to pod them and place the pod in the Taxiways folder. You need to pod them from the data folder, as that path has to be included in the taxi pod files in order for them to function properly. My approach: rename the regular data directory and create a new, temporary empty data folder. Place just the taxiway files you wish to pod in the temporary data folder. Create the pod file and place it in the taxiways directory. Remove the temporary folder and rename the original.Too many taxiways are being released without podding, opening up the possibility that our data folders will end up with hundreds of files - this has forced me to pod all the downloaded taxiway files myself so as to keep my Fly! installation clean. Some TM scenery makers have also included the taxiway files in their airport TM scenery pods - an excellent approach.

Randall Rocke

Randall,Thank you for these guidelines. I did not know that the /Data folder path must be included in the pod-file. I will try it out. Since I am a few days from home I will not be able to test it before the next weekend. If you hear nothing I was succesful. Otherwise you will get a reply.Thanks again.

Guest Eagle

Thanks Randall for that useful information. As you know I have been including the three taxiway files with my programs. The three files will have to be copied into the Data folder. I can POD the three files and have them placed in the Taxiways folder, but I would prefer to have them included with the scenery file.The problem is I don't know how to accomplish that. As you know I am using the Terramodels program and that program creates an .rsp file which I then POD. Is it possible to combine the Terramodels .rsp file and a taxiway .rsp file into one POD?Thanks,

Hi Wayne,First of all, thanks for all the wonderful work you've doing on airport sceneries - a huge addition to the Fly! world!I'll have to check on procedures with TM for this - I have the program, but have only used it so far to produce special projects to be added to my TerraScenery sets (like custom airport underlays). I know that TM creates a pod which includes the items that were added to the data directory for the scenery you created. It could be that if you create a "custom" data directory while making your scenery (temporary, empty version), that if you include those taxiway files in it, TM may automatically pod them along with the rest.I also know that the sceneries that Paul "Bart" Simpson has created for the Ohio project include his taxiways in the TM pod. I'll check with him on his procedures.

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

Thanks for responding, Randall and I look forward to any input that Bart may have.As far as I can determine Terramodels does not create a POD. When you click on "Create a POD" it will create a .rsp file. I then use the FlyII editor to create a POD for the scenery.In the FlyII editor box I enter the name of the .rsp file, such as, "wvl.rsp" and then a POD is created. If I were to use the ROTW Pod Creator program and create a taxiway .rsp file (lets say "taxiwvl.rsp" could I then in the FlyII edtor combine the two files. "wvl.rsp,taxiwvl.rsp" and get a scenery POD that contains the taxiways?I know, I could try this and see what happens. It's the "what happens" that scares me. I don't want to have to reinstall Fly again!I will wait until I hear from you or Bart.Thanks,

Wayne,I know that TM creates PODs directly - I've already done it with airport underlays. I'll check out the procedures when I have a chance.I'm guessing that the RSP file is simply a TXT file. If you know the location of the RSP file created for your project, you could simply open the file in Notepad or any other text editor and add the paths for the taxiway files. Podding in Fly! requires a response file - Allen probably added the "RSP" suffix to match the word "response".

Randall Rocke

Guest Steve Brown

Putting the taxiway files in the airport creation pod is as Randall says an excellent approach. Mostly it works out very well, but I have found in some area's the taxiways can be out of alighnment with the runway. When I was doing Birmingham Airport I found this to be the case. So test it first, and make sure when you check around your creation nothing has moved :-) Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPG][/divMy United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Guest Eagle

Thanks Randall and Steve:I opened the .rsp file that is created by Terramodels and found that the three files required for the taxiways was included. It would appear that there is no need to copy the files into the Data folder.At least that is how it appears. Further testing will be required to make sure that this is correct.

Guest Eagle

OK I am back to step number 1. Nothing seems to work except placing the taxiway files in the Data folder.Steve, how did you incorporate the files in your airport scenery?

Guest Steve Brown

Hi Wayne.When I pod my scenery with TM2.2 (See my post above) I move the newly created pod to my work folder on my desktop. Now when in there, extract all your files in the pod, by highlighting all the files in the open pod. Click on file and then Extract selected files. A box opens, now click OK. Now you may have 2 0r 3 folders appear in your work folder.(Sorry if you know all this part, I thought it might help others) For example ART MODELS DATA. Pop your three taxiway files into the DATA folder and repod the lot ;-) Have fun, but give it a good testing as I found sometimes things get moved out of place, but 95% of the time its been OK for me.Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPG][/divMy United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Guest Steve Brown

To create a pod with TM2.2First you need to create your pod responce file first.Then click on file and package scenery.Now click on create pod and scf files only.Now you will find your newly created pod in the TM2.2 subdirectory "package"....Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPG][/divMy United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Wayne & Steve,One thing to watch out for - if the airport you are making new scenery for already has taxiways (TRI-created and podded) but you are replacing them, there are only two ways they will show:1. The files must be left unpodded and placed in the data directory (over-riding the default pod).2. Give your pod a higher "mount priority", over-riding the default taxiway set. (A higher mount priority uses a lower number).

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

I still have not found a way to handle the taxiway files except to place them in the Data folder. Nothing else appears to work.