Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Disappearing taxiways, runways and tarmacs

Hi,When I take off from certain airports and especially from "home-made" airports, the runways, taxiways and tarmacs seem to disappear in external view whereas I can see them in internal view. Moreover, the runways, taxiways and tarmacs seem to move with the aircraft.If you want to test, download the marvellous French airports created by the ROTW nice team. Three of them have this problem : St-Val

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

G'day Damien,If you have your interior and exterior views set up with different zoom factors might be the cause of your problem. Just a thought.Also do you know that you can set the viewable distance of the taxiways ( and a few other distances ) in the Fly.ini file in the system folder.My system is an AMD 1700+ with 64 Mb GeForce 2 GTS/PRO video card.To be honest there are times when my system is brought to it's knees (ie single digit FPS ) but I actually don't find this that much of a hassle.There is no magic render.ini that will give you high FPS with all sliders maxed out. Unless you are a very fortunate person with one heck of a computer setup.It boils down to to experimenting with your video card and scenery that you regularly fly with and varying the settings to give you what you deem to be a good compromise.There is an excellent little program MemCalc (only 24 KB) by Jeff Burke in the Avsim library that does all the memory calcs for you for the different numbers of texture slots you opt to have.I think that you will find the original render.ini created by Fly! II will not be far off the mark as the best for your system. Quite a few people who have spent some time toying with render.ini have ended up comming to the above conclusion. :-) Cheers,Roger @YSSY