Sign in to follow this  
Guest BOB_J

Is there a Fly!2 Newbie Guide???

Hi everyone, I am VERY excited about Fly!2, having just received it in the mail yesterday. I have read the FAQs, performed the patch updates, read Ken Salter's "First Time Flyer" notes, etc. I then did a quick test flight. The departure airport was Willow Run (KYIP) in Michigan. Here is my quick experience:1) Flight model seems accurate for the 1722) Sounds for this plane I really liked 3) I cannot get my Flight Sim Yoke to properly pitch up (elevator up) for some crazy reason. I have calibrated the stick, unplugged and recalibrated, etc. The stick works fine in ALL other games, but just not properly in Fly. Any ideas here?4) The default scenery is a little disappointing, flying out of Willow Run Airport in Michigan. The terrain is blurry, and the colors seem to blend together. I guess I was expecting something more out of Fly!2 terrains and objects. On all my other flight sims, the terrain is tolerable (except for the crappy terrain of CFS3). 5) I have no idea how to "tweak" Fly!2 based on my graphics card, etc. I see lots of things about render.ini, memcalc program, etc. but I don't see anywhere that describes WHAT THIS DOES? Improve blurriness, change texture rendering, etc.??? Is there some type of "tweaking" guide I can browse through.I am more than willing to give Fly!2 a chance, but I just need to hunt down some information to read! Yea, the HUGE Fly2 .pdf file is great, but I want to maximize my computer's power to make this sim fly smoothly, and especially set up flights more for VFR flying. This means crisp, sharp terrain. Sorry for the long-winded message. I really hope someone can direct me to some more guides that would help me get the most out of Fly2. I would be happy to read anything, and I really want to give this sim a chance!AND, for all that I've learned, I can help contribute back to the community by perhaps writing an all-inclusive "Quick Start Guide to Fly!2".Regards to All,SteveSystem Specs:--------------------------------------------------------------------Dell 8200 P4 2.6 Ghz, 768 RDRAM 800, 80/120 GB ATA133 HDD, GeForce4 Ti4600 w/44.03 Omega Drivers, DirectX 9.0b, WinXP Home, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 with 6.1 speakers, CH Products Flight Sim Yoke USB, CH Products USB Rudder Pedals

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Steve,I'm on the run here, so I can give just a few hints:1. Delete all of the HST files in your aircraft folder. These history files are important, but they may have been corrupted in the patching process. This would impact your flight control for each aircraft. When you start Fly! II, new clean HST files will be created.2. After Starting Fly! II, go to the Aircraft, Options... menu. Set all Trim Steps=1 and all Exponential=100%. You must do this in turn for each aircraft. This is mentioned in one of the FAQ listings, but is easily missed. Also, download Rob Young's flight model updates for the Flyhawk (172) and the Pilatus for improved flight characteristics.The default terrain is optimized to be very realistic in appearance at altitude rather than down low. When high enough, a screenshot can look like a photograph. However, down low it will be soft. Also, as there are no roads and few rivers, etc. in the generic scenery, you can't really fly VFR in the normal sense with the default scenery - for detail you would TerraScene or place other custom scenery for that purpose.You have a lot of power in your system and card, but Fly! II will still push it. In the Options, Scenery... area, check out your sliders. The ones that I have experimented with are the Maximum Visibility, High Resolution Radius, and Medium Resolution Radius settings. When using TerraScenery for VFR, I get the best results by backing off the Max. Vis. to 20-30 miles, setting High Res in the 4-5 area and then maximizing the medium resolution radius. It is the Medium res textures that you need to see at their best when flying at low altitude and having the details "pop".There are many things to learn and experiment with when talking about the render.ini file. I have several different renders that I load, mattering on the type of flight I'm going to make. For now, stay with the default unless you run into frame-rate issues. I would, however, recommend you do the following right away: change the following line in your render.ini file: mipLevelCount= to a lower number, like 4 or even 3. MipMapping can really soften textures - this is important for some areas, but the default setting for this is too high. Using a lower setting will cut this softening effect way back and will help your graphics be sharper in appearance.

Hi Steve,welcome to FLY community. This might also help Go into the FLY2 directory, look for "control.txt" file and change the Z axis null zone from .05 to .1. Also you can download beautiful (almost accurate) terrasceneries from the AVSIM library and SIMVOL.ORGchris-rpll

I HIGHLY recommend getting TerraScene and TerraModels. You can then customize your local airport...and then share with the community.These tools are very easy to use. Oh, and free ;-)There are tons of customized airports and scenery in the AVSim library.http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Relax... You've enough processing power to be in the 70-110 fps cockpit normal flight, 40-70 in most airports, and 30 lost in the mude. You have a fairly good system more than adequate for smooth drive in the FLY! world and a life like visual flying experience. Here's some basic actions you can do for an immediate upset.At first, go to the nvidia properties and activate Anisotropic filtering, you may choose "4", which is more than enough. I have set all other form of mipmap off, but the choice is yours.On the graphic options screen of FLY!, hi-res textures should be activated.Go to the scenery options in the simulator and set to the max. the two med and hi-resolution radius (6 and 20), you have a solid performer!. I'm in accordance with Randall, 20 nauticals is a good setting, in fact a quite good sightseeing in real flight.You'll discover a new world, the landscape should now be crisp and clear without flicker, view from a few thousand of feet.Faswrite and sideband addressing may help to gain some fps if enabled, both in BIOS and/or registers.The render don't improve anything, it should be set accordingly to the numerous graphic options you've set (resolutions radius, clouds, etc...) and the fantasy spirit of our beloved scenery designers, so you can't send it to friends without your personnal preferences.Here's one, a "classic" one with radius 6 and 20 and most 3D object in 256x256 textures.[Graphics] mipLevelCount=8vertexIndexFormat=1 or 0, should try, artifact or not in 3D models. premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0 allowAutoMipMapping=0 directTextureFlag=0 [Textures] maxTextures32=32 maxTextures32_565=32 maxTextures64=32 maxTextures64_565=32 maxTextures128=72 maxTextures128_565=250 maxTextures256=30 maxTextures256_565=230 maxTextures512=8 maxTextures512_565=5 maxTextures1024=3mipMapFlag=896 Around 70Mo of memory... Some render slot allocations may be ok elsewhere except on one particular location with an unexpected bunch of textures. Smart designers send us their count and that's fine! You should take care on heavily "populated" areas, with more than one airport in the vicinity.To be sure, one should try every possible situation, every airport with full cloud coverage at low altitude (hi!).For the guide, it should be heavy, FLY! is a very complex program and some functions are even now undocumented.But what a pleasant experience!

FasTwrite, and some lost"s" too, it's too hot here, sorry... I have a 4Ti400 (quadro750GXL mod, but it doesn't matter) 300/300MHz (quite safe with radiator fitted 3.6nS Samsung), 43.51 and Rivatuner.The above scores are obtained with some light AA activated too, good for outside "children demo" view. Athlon Barton 2500+ at 2.1GHz, AMD 790MPX2 chipset, 1Go DDR 2700, sil680 RAID card, W2k., a nice oldie even for 40k+ poly airports. Have a look at the registers, some functions may be turned off even if the BIOS setting is ok.An hardware tweaking guide should be as usefull, maybe, as results differs somewhat between machines of similar performance level.Have a look at : flyskyward.com/flylinks.