Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Windows help...............Win98SE

G'day all,Oh woe is me! :-( For some reason I cannot make a new folder.When I select "file" from the menu bar the drop down menu has "create shotcut"(greyed out) followed by the usual rename,delete,open etc which work correctly. I no longer can get the "new file or folder" option. Even in safe mode! Thank heavens for DOS. At least if I boot up into DOS I can create a new folder but of course am limited by DOS to filename length.I'm all set for the worst (reinstall windows) but thought it prudent to ask here just in case it's something simple.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Hi Roger,Well, this is a new one! I'm sure you tried this, but just in case - did you try using the right-click context menu instead of the file menu - are the New, Folder options also missing there?Outside of that, did you install a new program or make a device change of some kind before this happened? You may want to run Scanreg and return to an ealier registry in case your current is corrupted.

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,Thanks for the reply; I didn't even give the registry a thought. Yes I tried right clicking the context menu. I figured that windows was corrupted as explorer would show a folder as a web page even though it was selected as Classic. I could change it to Classic but if I left and came back it would diplay as a web page again.I decided to take the plunge and just reload windows over the top of what was already there. Put the CD in the CDROM and ran setup. about 30minutes later I was greeted with desktop just as I left it. All of the drivers, personal settings and passwords were retained and everything now works again as it should. I was very surprised that I didn't need to do a thing.I had been swapping drivers and being a bit naughty trying overclocking the CPU until finally windows hung and I had to reboot so I guess I have to plead guilty to somehow corrupting windows.I'm a very happy camper again :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY