Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

Idea on removing blurries

Guest Timbo

I'm almost positive someone must have said this before but here goes. Microsoft is using mip-mapped textures on their terrain. When Project OpenSky released the 767's, many users were reporting blurries similar to what the ground was doing. The solution to the planes was extracting the highest resolution mipmap and saving it as a 16-bit(444) or 32-bit texture. This idea may work, unfortunatly this would be a large undertaking with over 1,500 textures to convert. If it worked though, this would stop all blurries and the terrain would look much crisper like FS2000. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:timsfsstudio.home.attbi.com]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!]

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

HI, You can test already this by using the fs2000 or cfs2 texture summer texture in fs2002 they are using 16 bit (565) better than 16 bit (444). Just backup your original summer texture from fs2k2. All fs2002 texture works in fs2002all cfs2 texture works in fs2002all 3rd party generic texture works in fs2002They are all 565 16 bits format. (565 9 mip map level) (dxt1 7mipmap)they go in scenedb/world/textureBut the the fps can drop a little because they are not dxt1 format but not so much, same as night lights texture from fs2000 3rd party.The only thing I don't know if they match with the autogen vs texture.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest PaulL01

>I'm almost positive someone must have said this before but >here goes. Microsoft is using mip-mapped textures on their >terrain. When Project OpenSky released the 767's, many users >were reporting blurries similar to what the ground was >doing. The solution to the planes was extracting the highest >resolution mipmap and saving it as a 16-bit(444) or 32-bit >texture. This idea may work, unfortunatly this would be a >large undertaking with over 1,500 textures to convert. If it >worked though, this would stop all blurries and the terrain >would look much crisper like FS2000. Any thoughts on this >are appreciated. >You can do this in about 5 minutes time with Martin Wrights FS2k-2k2 graphic tools, I believe that "Convim" is the particular program that Can be used for batch proccessing, however it seems Non mipped Bmps will still exhibit the same Mipmap problem on ground terrain as default, I tried several formats last year when custom textureing of the mesh was made posible, but you can try it your self to make sure. :)I believe you will find that the "problem" lies within how the FS2k2 graphics engine is passing of its commands through the D3D api regardless of the Bmp format and then you have the multi res mesh model to concider as well, but again it seems that we are stuck with this as a result of Fs2k2 graphics engine.I dont see the problem however as the solution is provided by means of enableing anisotropy at the driver level of the gaphics card as well as forcing a higher Mipmap LOD level. this is much easier than having to convert textures IMHO.http://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/46_fps.jpgPaul Take Care,

here are some screenshots hp6545w/ 766 celerongf2mx400PCIwd hdd 19gb[7+ free}@5400rpmfsb=66mhz fps here around ithaca ny = 12-19 no changes seem to affect the blurries . tom t