Sign in to follow this  
michal

Here's an odd thought: anyone thought of open-sourcing?

Guest Pardue802

Currently in the technology news, the open source model is receiving a great deal of positive publicity and results. Having decided to use Mozilla as of late, I've really seen the quality of results that an open source project can mean.I know there's an open source flight simulator out there, FlightGear, but it seems that it lacks in some of the areas that Fly excels, particularly in graphical user interface, quality of panels, lighting, etc. I'm wondering whether or not Fly (or more appropriately, the community) could evolve and benefit as an open source project? Of course, I have no realization of the "ties that bind" Terminal Reality with prior publishers, etc... but it seems to reason that Fly isn't benefitting much in the monetary area anyway.I've admittedly not been in the Fly forum for a while, having otherwise moved on... but there is a clear need for alternative flight simulators to Microsoft's own, and there seems to be some success in fighting the 800 lb gorilla with "guerilla warfare", er... open source.Thanks in advance, and apologies if I'm out of line!Kenneth

Kenneth,It certainly has been discussed here from time to time, however, this is not possible with the Fly! simulation as it contains proprietary code from TRI.However, it's SDK is extremely open, robust, and well-designed, which is why Fly!/Fly!2 are going strong here, with continuing development. We also have hope that in the future, TRI will be able to return to Fly! development and improvements, as its core is very good.

Randall Rocke

There is nothing that would prevent you from writing the very first line of your open source flight simulator. This is how Linux started and this is how any OS simulator should start.Michael J.