Sign in to follow this  
Guest KYC

Landing Lights with 56.64 or Higher

Guest KYC

Hi Guys,I bought a new videocard (FX5900) and installed the last Nvidia drivers with Edimensional glasses (great experience, I can tell you! :9). For my surprise, landing lights are gone so I tried several setups and finally discovered that if I change the startup screen to Direct X8 with no T&L effects, they will back again. At least I think it's better lost some T&L effects than Fly! at night with no lights, don't you think? ;)Just a hint for all FX owners that would like to install new Nvidia drivers and don't want to lose Fly!'s II landing lights.PS: I lost aircraft shadows too. So I disabled shadows option on menu and got better performance.Hope it helps,Keyton

Keyton,Any particular reason to upgrade? I'm still running 45.23, getting very acceptable performance and still enjoying T&L, lighting effects and shadows.

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,Yep I also have a FX5900 card and tried the 56.64 drivers. No benefit whatsoever as far as I could determine and apart from not having the landing lights I also found that I could no longer run the original Fly!2k. Needless to say I couldn't get back to the 45.23 driver quick enough. I also had problems with Windows 98SE being corrupted which necessitated the re-installation of the operating system. Luckily it went straight over the top and still kept all my files and passwords etc intact. Lindy had exactly the same problem. I remember a post from Rich questioning the wisdom of always updating the driver if it was not to cure a specific problem.Cheers,Roger

G'day Keyton,I also tried the 56.64 drivers but decided there was no real advantage and several disadvantages so went back to the older drivers , which by the way give very satisfactory performance. Great to see you still in the loop.Cheers,Roger

Guest KYC

Hi Randall,The only reason is because I have many new games and they got render problems using old drivers. BTW the 45.23 stereo drivers didn't work too. Cheers,Keyton

Guest KYC

Hi Roger,Nice to see you too, my friend. I always check this forum but sometimes have problems with login and can't post like I wish. :)Right now me and Lobo decided to join forces and start developing some scenarios with elevations for Fly! II. We have many ideas and can't wait to finish some good cities from Brazil (Rio, S

G'day Keyton,Wow! now thats a nice beach shorline. Is the rocky peak an elevation or model ? Just how did you get the light blue divide between the the ocean and the beach? I'd love to get that type of effect on my Sydney.Great scenery.Cheers,Roger

Roger,A guess here - looks to me as though they painted a shade of grey into the water mask along the shore...?

Randall Rocke

Guest KYC

Dear Roger,Randall is right. I applied gaussian blur tool (Photoshop) around the coastline (WATERW.TGA). With SBFN.TGA I painted around the island with blue color.That elevation is a 3D model. Do you remember when I did Pao de A

G'day Keyton,Thanks for the explanation. I think I might give it a try. ( when I get some more ram for Photoshop 7.0I don't remember the name but I do remember you posting to Rich about flashing 3D models in some scenery. Anyway I think this looks real good.Cheers,Roger

Guest KYC

Hello Roger,You have a good memory, my friend. :) Fly! has a problem with Zbuffer and 3D Models (they start to flash at some distance), fortunately Rich gave me a solution: reducing the visual popup model distance (FLY.INI), it will minimize a lot this "bug".ah, that good days when Rich come here... we miss a lot.Cheers,Keyton Cabral