Sign in to follow this  
Damien BRUNET

Fly! II with 19" LCD monitor

Hi everyone,I had (and I still have !!!) a 17" CRT monitor and I bought a month ago a LG 19" LCD monitor, bigger, best than my CRT but I have some troubles with Fly! II since most of its panels work with a resolution of 1024x768. The problem is that I set my resolution up to 1280x1024. Fly! II is beautiful with that resolution but the panels are cut at the bottom. If I set a resolution of 1024x768, the panels are good but the fonts (menu toolbar, windows, ...) are bold and there are aliasing.People who have Fly! II, what monitor do you have and with which resolution do you run Fly! II ? Please tell me more about it. Tips are welcome.:-)Have a nice day.;-)Damien - LFQQ.http://damiendelille.free.fr/Cliparts/Avion.gif

Guest tonyc

You get bold and out of focus fonts when you set the AA on the special Nvida 4Q setting. For FLY, 2xx AA works pretty well. When you go past the 1024 res settings, many aicraft panels will not display correctly, given that FLY requires that each panel be created for a specific resolution.tony

G'day Damien,Fly! II Cockpit views require a separate group of graphic files for each different resolution. In the PC version the default aircraft have files for (640 x 480) (800 x 600) and (1024 x 768). Most add-ons only use the 1024 x 768 as the other two resolutions are pretty much well and truly superceded. This means that if you set up a higher resolution than 1024 x 768, say 1600 x 1200 then the exterior views will function normally at the new resolution, all interior views, EXCEPT the forward panel view, will be displayed as a 1024 x 768 box or window starting from the top left hand corner with a resulting space on the right hand side and lower edge. IF THE FRONT PANEL SIZE is greater than 1600 x 1200 then the front panel will display normally and all the controls function normally. In this case provided you only use the front view and exterior views then you can fly the aircraft and enjoy the higher resolution.LCD screens however have an additional problem. crt screens have an aspect ratio of 1024/768 = 1.333333 The ratio you have set on your LCD screen of 1280 x 1024 has an aspect ratio of 1280/1024 = 1.25 What this means is that circles (instruments) will show up as slightly oval shaped. I think the difference in aspect ratio may be the cause for your blocky text and anti-aliasing issue.If the side and rearwards views are important to you then simply use a graphics program to alter the size of the graphics to 1280 x 1024 and apart from the slight oval distortion due the the change in aspect ration you should be able to use the new views no problem.Let us know how you get on.Cheers,Roger

>If the side and rearwards views are important to you then>simply use a graphics program to alter the size of the>graphics to 1280 x 1024 and apart from the slight oval>distortion due the the change in aspect ration you should be>able to use the new views no problem.>>Let us know how you get on.>>Cheers,>>RogerHi Roger,What do you mean ? How do you proceed ?Damien - LFQQ.http://damiendelille.free.fr/Cliparts/Avion.gif

G'day Damien,I started out and went through the processes but as I continued I've had second thoughts about leading someone out of their depth and getting them into difficulties. I'm not certain whether Fly! II will recognise an *.1024 file. Tri may have it hard coded so that 1024 x 768 is the highest resolution you can have for a rotation view. If you really want this higher resolution then email me let me know what aircraft and I'll see if I can do it for you.If you're determined to tinker yourself then email me and I'll send you an email rather than do it here in the forum.I might have been getting a little ahead of myself with my previous post.Cheers,Roger

Hi,I love Fly! II and I want to fly it with a LCD 19" monitor. I tried some screen resolutions but the result isn't totally good ... :( With a 1024x768 resolution, there are some pixels and both aircraft and sceneries look bad. With a 1280x1024 screen resolution, there's no pixel but panel views disappear and some aicraft (especially ROTW marvellous aircraft) don't work. I've read the topic about Fly! II and widecreen and I tried the 1280x768 resolution. It's quite better but for some aicraft, panels are still missing. I also tried the 1024x768 resolution with full screen. In fact, Fly! II works with a 1024x768 screen resolution in the upper left corner of my LCD monitor !Here is a screenshot :http://udb.neuf.fr/Captures/Fly!II/Fly!II_1024_768.jpgI think it's good but Fly! II window is not centered ! Is it possible to center Fly! II window in order to have black border all around the window ? Is there a command to enter in the fly.ini or render.ini ?Regards,;)Damien - LFQQ.http://damiendelille.free.fr/Cliparts/Avion.gif

G'day Damien,Good to hear from you and that you are still simming with Fly! II.I have a 19" BENQ FP92E LCD monitor with an EN7600 GT video card with the latest nvidia driver and no matter what resolution I select from 400 x 300 all the way up to 1280 x 1024 Fly! II operates in FULL SCREEN. Ie. I cannot reproduce your pic with Fly! II only occupying a partial screen.Would you be using an ATI graphic card??Or have you been playing around with "nview" In Fly.ini in the system folder is a variable autoFullScreen=0. Have you tried setting that to autoFullScreen=1 ??? It makes no difference to my card/computer but if you are using an ATI card it might.1024 x 768 is the maximum resolution that Fly! II will work at without modification.If you want to go to a higher resolution then you have to be prepared to start making changes to Fly! II. So long as the new resolution is less than the width/depth of the front panel graphic then the front panel should display OK. All the rotational views however will need to be redefined if they are to display correctly.Sorry I can't be of more help but I just can't reproduce your problem.If you can't solve your problem then I suggest you try an email to Randall as he's much more informed about all things video than me. Cheers,Roger

Guest Loke

Those LCD`s have their native resolution, and the rest is about how good your LCD is to rescale. Anything else than the native resolution might get blurry, but with a good LCD it will rescale well.I tried via tips in here to run Fly II higher than 1024x768, and it never worked. I guess it depends on which LCD you buy, and how good it is on rescaling automatically. One thing to try is to set Windows to run in 1024x768 and let your LCD rescale before starting the sim. If the Windows result is success there might be a good chance Fly II will follow.