Sign in to follow this  
Guest louis the fly maniac

Looking for a Pacific island... :-)

Well, is/was this a subject already going on?I'm new to this forum with a question. I'm not new to Fly or Fly2, since I bought both a long time ago (wasn't it 1999 for Fly?).Anyhow, I selected a subject, "

Hi Louis! Long time since we saw a post from you. ;-)Do you recall the video card you had running Fly!, and which aircraft at the time? I am not sure, but I am willing to bet it was one of the glitch artifacts being generated when one too many vertices were around - though granted - very small chance since you were flying in an area with no actual scenery other than the basic water and ground. :-) It could have be one data glitch that ccurred just the one time you happened to be flying through. I often get some video glitches with the aircraft, though they are not ground based if I am in the air.As far as you can recall, it was not some trial scenery or airport made in the South Pacific you might have been trying out, was it? It has been quite a long time, to be sure. I have both Fly! and Fly! II on my computer, and may be able to check things out in the original version to see what I might spy.Cheers,Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

>Hi Louis! Long time since we saw a post from you. ;-)>>Do you recall the video card you had running Fly!, and which>aircraft at the time? I am not sure, but I am willing to bet>it was one of the glitch artifacts being generated when one>too many vertices were around - though granted - very small>chance since you were flying in an area with no actual scenery>other than the basic water and ground. :-) I think not. It just looked like regular scenery, only very oddly shaped: let's say a small piece of land into the sea with this obelisk shaped form on top of it. Regular colours. I went into slew mode to get around it and examine the height, which was into the 1000 ft range if I recollect right. Like I said, too bad I didn't scribble down the lat/long position. BTW, my vidcard was a Geforce 4 which I still use, the a/c if I recollect OK was the Mirage (the one I often use for exploring around, and the distance compression comes in quite handy at times)>As far as you can recall, it was not some trial scenery or>airport made in the South Pacific you might have been trying>out, was it? It has been quite a long time, to be sure. I have>both Fly! and Fly! II on my computer, and may be able to check>things out in the original version to see what I might spy.There you got it perhaps: I faintly recall I downloaded some New Caledonian scenery and because of that I was flying in the area. The strange part is that now I cannot find anything which resembles a New Caledonian additional scenery, not in my scenery dir, also not in the tons of original downloaded zipfiles I still have. I was searching again the other day and got to Whitegrass (south of Vanuatu) where I again found this stupid airfield with the runway floating in the Pacific with a huge mountain rising up at one end of the runway. It is not listed, but it has a TWR and APP on 118.10, which is the same for Vila a bit further north. Identifier is NV, it won't show up on the map but I accidentally found it by hopping into some AI which showed up at the time which did an approach from the wrong end and subsequently everything went into disorder (ATC-wise). But for the obelisk-island: no luck. Like I said: mebbe that was thousands of miles from there :-)Edit a bit later (now I'm fully awake): Back then I _think_ I ran Fly on my previous computer, which had a Voodoo-3 (bought for Propilot). All the researches I've done were on the main puter now, mebby I should give it a try on the old one (which I still have incl. Fly installed). Altho' I still don't think the card had anything to do with it.