Sign in to follow this  
blackers

Terrascene

After several years away I loaded FlyII back onto a computer in an attempt to revive my flight simming. I had previously generated a large number of global tiles using Terrascene which I had backed up with 3 seperate backup programs and copied the resultant backups to dvd.As Murphys law would have it, none of the backups could be read when I tried to restore them, hence I was thinking of recreating some of the tiles. However when startng Terrascene 2.1 things worked ok up until the Render section when errors started occurrig during the doownload process, specifically with the www.wings.... site.Is Terrascene now a defunct program or is there a magical fix for the render process downloads.Ray

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ray,TerraScene itself is not a defunct program, but all of the data sites are. The wingswithwires site is no longer active, and the USGS is shutting down the old sites and moving all of the data to a commercial site. If you turn off shading, which used the higher-res elevation files stored on the "wings" site for a 3-D effect, the old USGS sites may still be functioning, allowing you to recreate the tiles, but with a "flatter" appearance.Several of us were lucky enough to obtain copies of the original data on DVD data discs. If you would like to obtain copies, I'm sure we can work something out. Please use the Avsim e-mail system if you would like to set something up.

Randall,I have emailed you as requested. Not having used the Avsim email process I trust that you will receive it.RegardsRay