Sign in to follow this  
blackers

Terrascene Errorr

Many thanks to Randall Rocke for supplying me with the US Data dvd's for Terrascene.After a few tribulations with one of my computers I embarked upon my Terrascene generation process. I was terrascening a Global Tile 169,156 (from Mickeys Maps). To keep it simple I used the default settings when setting up the project. I downloaded the relevant files from the data dvd and then started the render process. The render process progressed for a short time and then the following error message occurred:tk.ts.d.a IOExceptionC:TERRASCENE2TEXTURESBASESWAMP-BOG.JPG - THE SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED.Checking the base folder reveals only four (4) jpgs, Roads-base, Roads-dark, Roads-light and Roads-medium.Have I missed something in my installation of terrascene or am I in the proverbial 'between a rock and a hard place' situation.Ray

Guest 3cffts

Hello Ray:Yes, you should have about 112 files in the 'base' folder. I believe they come with the base textures pack that should be installed before you run Terrascene 2.1. The How-In-The-World (HITW) added textures are also great to have. I tried to find the Base textures pack in the file library but regret my search was not successful. Hopefully Randall will pick up this thread and will know the name of the file. Brian.

Ray,In the old days, there were separate files in a texture pack created by HITW - that was no longer the case when the latest version of TerraScene was released with higher resolution output to match Fly!II. Though the old files were made available for purchase by HITW, they are still 1/2 the resolution of Fly!II.The new installation system for TS 2.1 generates the Base Textures by literally extracting and creating them from your Fly!II installation textures. It could be that there was an error in your installation of TerraScene.Rather than remove and reinstall TerraScene, open TerraScene, then choose Project, Integrate with Fly!... This should extract the generic scenery textures. This wizard can be run at any time.

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

Hi Randall:I did not realize that FLY!II came with scenery textures of higher definition than the ts v2.0 and HITW textures. Where are the texture '.jpg' files located in the Fly!II directory? Can they be 'tweaked' with a photo editing program? Cheers, Brian.

Brian,If you haven't already done so, you need to upgrade to TerraScene v.2.1.You can either download the entire 2.1 package, or download the upgrade, which will take you from 2.0 to 2.1. The upgrade will then integrate itself with Fly!II and the Fly! Slicer, extracting textures from your installation and forming the base texture pack.If you want to edit the base textures, make a new custom texture pack, copy the textures into the new folder (in TerraScene, not Fly!), then edit the copies (don't edit the base pack - leave it alone). Whenever you want to use the custom textures, simply assign that texture pack to your project.In the past I uploaded several of my custom packs to the library - one of those is a base texture pack with adjustments for water areas (so that roads actually cross water in bridged areas, etc.)A program was also created to enhance the color of the default textures. It's been a while since I installed it and used it with Fly!II and TerraScene - I'll see if I can find it in my file download backups and get the name for you.

Randall Rocke

Thanks guys,I'd seen that 'integrate' somewhere but assumed that it had happened automatically - dumbass - after that was completed the render went as expected. Took 2:24 for the global tile, I guess now I'll have to go take a look. I did only use the generic textures though. I'll need to try to find what the best textures for each tile is going to be. I presume the best guide would be maps??.Randall I do believe that I have seen your texture packs in the FlyII Terrascene or miscellaneous area of the library, I'll be checking it out.As an incidental question, has there ever been a standardised settings for the CH Flight Sim yoke.Many thanks.Ray

Randall,The Texture Enhancer program can be downloaded from the Avsim library. It can be found in the FlyII Scenery download area under TextureEnhancer.Ray

Aha! Yep, that's it!I really recommend this, as it pops the chroma to the level it was supposed to be. Read the instructions carefully, as it affects the textures created by TerraScene 2.1. When you run the TS 2.1 install and it extracts the textures, it applies a 25% enhancement to those textures - in other words, the texture enhancement was already built-in to TerraScene. When you run the Texture Enhancer program it defaults to 25% and does the same thing to Fly!II's generic textures.However, if you haven't yet extracted the textures for TS 2.1, but have already enhanced the Fly!II files, place a back-up of the original textures into Fly!II before extracting for TerraScene. When finished, place the enhanced textures back into Fly!II and you'll be good to go.

Randall Rocke