Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

DHC2 Beaver Beta Water Performance (video)

Beta-testing continues on Roger & Company's Beaver, now working with water operations. The float system is working well! Also, note the beautiful night-lighting of the panel, contributed by Bart Simpson. (Video link below image)http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll169/c...ly2/Beaver5.jpgWater operations test - video link:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fxy1_wa...-beav_videogame

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

Another great video, and a great model! .... did it land with the gear down?Brian.

Hi Brian,No, the gear was not down. You may have seen the shadow of the gear, but it wasn't down.From what I understand from Roger, the only way to remove the shadow of the gear would be to remove the shadow from the entire model, which would subtract from its realism. By producing the first aircraft model for Fly! that has amphibious operations plus retractable landing gear, Roger has pushed the Fly!II code to the edge. This leaves us with a gear shadow even when the gear is up, but gives a striking effect on land. It also caused some issues with the gear warning horn, so pay close attention to the special warning light in the middle of the panel when the aircraft is released.This also created an issue with "tire chirp" on landing. :-)

Randall Rocke

I took another quick look at the video. On the landing you will note that the wheels are folded back on top of the floats. As the landing view was head-on, we don't see enough of the shadow to see the errant outline.Take-off is where this really shows. Again, you will note that wheels are folded away on top of the floats, but that the wheels-down shadow appears on the water.

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,>producing the first aircraft model for Fly! that has>amphibious operations plus retractable landing gear, This is the second! - the Otter was the first!! Did you miss it?But the Otter has exactly the same problems.>Roger has pushed the Fly!II code to the edge.I couldn't code my way anywhere :-lolCredit where credit is due. Laurent (of ROTW) did all the amazing DLL work that makes the amphibian properties possible. The gear warning horn is silenced, the tyre chirp and smoke from the float eliminated, and the starter button engagement problem is fixed.Time to pod up and upload - unless you come up with more problems :-)Cheers,Roger

Hi Roger,Whoops - I forgot about the Otter! I recall now when you were sharing some of your work during the development stage. Somehow, I missed it when it was finished - it is now in my hangar. I hope that those working on Fly! Legacy will consider including the capability of controlling some of the effects of amphibians' land/sea modes beyond what Fly!II is capable of.Regardless, both of these aircraft are a step beyond the Stearman, which was produced as two separate models.Final comments on the way via e-mail.

Randall Rocke