Sign in to follow this  
Guest chusin

Problems installing Fly II in my new iMac G5

Guest tlc8126

Chusin,I posted a message looking for anyone that would be able to help me find a copy of Fly! II for the Mac that I could play around with on my iMac G5 'Pre-iSight'. I was told that 'Classic' and OS9 operate differently, and apparently Classic doesn't allow the kind of access to video memory as OS9. Yet I was told that only Fly! and Fly! 2K had issues with OS X, and I take that to mean that Fly! II should work under OS X (but I don't know if that means 10.1.5, or some other release).At the same time, if I had to make a guess, the error message you get is comming from the 'load' function in a piece of software code called 'C3DModel'. The rest of the message indicates that the file 'vor.smf' (likely a file in a POD) can't be loaded, and this is probably due to the video memory issue mentioned above.I suggest running Fly! II under OS9 natively and see if that works. Otherwise, you may need to tweak your video memory settings, but I really don't know if this works the same on the Mac as on the PC. Are you running the nVidia or ATI graphics card on your Mac? How much video memory do you have? How much RAM does your Mac have? And what is the size of free space on your hard drive? These could help determine that you have adequate physical memory, but not enough available memory (whether by software problem like the Classic/OS9 issue, above, or because of Mac Libraries, et al., changing over the last several releases).Tom C

Guest tlc8126

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just installed and have thus far successfully ran Fly! II on my iMac G5 (pre-iSight). I haven't tried to use any add-on scenery from my TerraScene 2.1, or other scenery. Nor have I tried any of the add-on aircraft or my CH Yoke and CH Pedals. But it runs as updated to 2.50.240, and appears to have good frame rates of approximately 28 fps.My iMac is the release prior to the iSight version. I am running Mac OS X 10.4.4. I have only 512MB of DDR-PC3200 RAM. I have the 20" flat screen, and a 250GB hard drive.I am hoping that I can slice or install scenery files from my PC using the built in Scenery Editor (Ctl+E), and that I can figure out how to start writing XCode Cocoa and Universal binaries for utilities. I also am going to try to get Fly! Legacy working on my iMac as well, albeit in native OpenGL mode.Fly safe!Tom C

Hi Chusin,You may have already done this!,.............but just make sure you have the latest PATCH 2.50.240 and install it correctly (as per instructions) ........BEFORE you start FlyII! for the first time.Im not aware of any problems running FlyII on Mac OS X 10.4 and Ive been using FlyII on OS X 10.2.8 for years now.Hope this helpsJohn

Hi,a pity that I see your post so late. I faced the problem after reinstalling Fly!II on my new external hard disk.The problem: If you install from the 2nd CD the scenery, it is just put on your default location but n o t where it belongs to, in the Fly!II main folder.So, simply move after installing the scenery its folder in the main fly2 folder, the same with the maps folder after installing manually from CD 3.Again, you have to install scenery manually from CD2, Fly! will not ask you for that and then moving the created scener

Guest ftessler

I just bought an Intel iMac (my first new home Mac in four years, upgrading from a dual 800 G4) and thought I'd give Fly! II a try. Not surprisingly, it doesn't run under Tiger/Rosetta. However, Windows XP runs quite nicely (I need it for a couple of work-related apps), and I may install the PC version if I can find one around.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TessleriMac 2GHz Core DuoFly! for Mac Co-moderator