Sign in to follow this  

Local Airport

I have a small reply from some of the scenery guru's here. When it comes to understanding the scenery applications Im at a loss. I have no problem when it comes to using the simple scenery editor that comes with FlyII. But when it comes to trying to use terrascenery along with the other programs available , it looks rather complicated to me. So I was just wondering if anyone out there that has the time to do so. I would like just a simple runway for a small town airport. No need to be fancy. Here is a url that will direct to a site that gives all the info about location and elevation. www.airnav.com/airport/I96 If the ansi lights can be done that will fine. If not then no problem. If anyone is willing to do this for me I would really appreciate it very much. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Tony,To create an airport, you have to add it to the Aiport database, then add the runways to the runway database. Terrascene is much easier to use than this. :-)I can make your airport for you (you would need to import the DEX file), but there's not enough data for exact placement. (I can come close, if that's good enough.)I took a look at the area that I96 is in - not much detail. This is something that Terrascene can really help you with. I don't know of anything easier than basic (unedited) scenery creation with Terrascene. Just name your project, select the area (I'd make it at least a 1/4 globe tile in size), tell TS to autoslice and autopod and go to bed. Your scenery will be waiting for you in the morning. (Do this after you have the airport, that way the airport area will be properly flattened.)

Randall Rocke

Randall, I dont know if you have used Terramodels or not. But Im trying to learn how. Install went fine. I also downloaded the USGS bmp for the area in question. Which is for I96. Only problem is that I96 doesnt exist in FlyII database. I could have sworn that at one time it was there. What is the correct id for finding it in the directory-teleport function? Do you know? I have tried every kind of name I can think of for it. Example Adair-County, Columbia-Adair county ect... This is why I think I gave up on trying to do this in the past , because it wasnt in the original database to begin with. If you want to make a simple runway for the area that will be fine. As long as I can go into scenery editor in FlyII and add some other scenery to it. Vasi lights for pilot to turn off and on would be nice. Thanks.TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Yes, I96 is not in the Fly!II database - the airport will have to be added. I'll see what I can do over the weekend - I'll send a DEX file for you to import the airport. Once the airport is in, you can use Terrascene and TM with it.

Randall Rocke

Ok Thanks alot for helping with this Randall. I have the program called DexImport. is this what to use to import the Dex file with?Also I checked out your profile info. I didnt know you were from Columbus. I went to a really good jazz festival there a few years ago. Columbus has to be the cleanest city I have ever been too. Well gotta head for work. Thanks again. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

RandallSome time ago I added TAS and NZJ. They showed up in Fly II but TM said no such airport in the database. I was able to get TM to finally recognize that they were in the database but I don

It's been a while since I made an airport but I'll rediscover some of the nuances quickly enough. I believe that the Unique I.D. has to contain a certain form for the item to be recognized in the database (identifies country, etc.)

Randall Rocke

OK, Tony - your airport is finished. I was hoping to incorporate pilot-activated lighting, but it appears to be broken in Fly!II (or I'm missing some procedure). If it can be adjusted in the future, I'll send you an update. In the meantime, you'll get lighting from dusk to dawn.Now, I'll need your e-mail address so I can send the DEXs to you. You will need DexImport to add the updates. Copy the unzipped DEXs into the Fly!II root directory, then run DexImport on each of them.Capvideo@columbus.rr.com

Randall Rocke

Randall, Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. It installed perfectly. Im posting another question on this forum about Terrascene, so it will get looked at by all involved with developing. Afraid that if I post it within this post it may get overlooked. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

You're welcome - let me know if anything's "out of whack". The only thing I had to go on this was the approximate center of the airport and the dimensions and physical characteristics of the runway. I also set the lighting to what was listed in Airnav.I placed the beacon off to one side - let me know if it needs to be relocated.

Randall Rocke

Randall, I want to thank you again for the Airport. Also I really like the script that you add. I was just messing around with some stuff. All of a sudden I hear a twin prop approaching out of no where. Lo and behold this lil bird does a touch and go at my airport that you made for me. Nice touch!!!!!!!!! Did you add the extra traffic at Campbellsville AAS ? Several dynamic aircraft are landing over there as well. Kinda makes it interesting to have some traffic in the area. Now if I can just get Terrascenery to work. Thanks again.:-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpyTonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Hi Randall,From what I can see you're doing excellent job here. I followed lots of the stuff re creating new airports and runways. But I got into same trouble not seeing airports in TS2.1 . The airports and runways are in Fly2 but cannot be searched in TS. This is not only for my own airport but for several airports in my country (Czech Republic) which came with Fly2. Any idea what it might be?I saw you recommandation regarding render settings for proper flattening the airport. But can't find the link now. Can you copy me the link? I ran TS but with very little luck to fix sinking runways. Can you help? Good link is enough.Thanks,Rene

Rene,Could you post some of the identifiers and names of the airports that aren't showing up? It could be that some Fly!II airports won't appear in TS, but there are other ways to find the right tiles. If you cannot locate the airport in TS, open the Scenery Editor in Fly!II and go to the airport in question. There are information panels that give you the location of the cursors - these list not only lat/lon but which tiles (global tile & individual tile) the cursors are located in. With this information you can go to those tiles in Terrascene and know you're in the right place to create your sceneries.As far as flattening goes, the Build 230 patch has a flattening routine built in. You do need to have scenery to render, as the built-in slicer in version 230 flattens the terrain around any airports in the scenery as part of the slicing process. This has worked in most cases, but sometimes you need to flatten using the Flattenator program to handle specific problems. There are a number of tutorials posted on this, including at the top of the general forum. Your first choice would be to see if you acheieved proper flattening in the slicing process.

Randall Rocke

Tony,Somehow I missed this post back in May :-roll No special script here, buddy - if you make an airport that is properly recognized by Fly!II and you have AI aircraft activated, they should use it.If you build it, they will come. :-)

Randall Rocke

Thats quite alright. No need to apologize. Kinda odd though cause the aircraft in question repeatedly does a touch and go. Just curious if you apllied that touch yourself. Anyway its a nice touch. Thanks again. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP