Sign in to follow this  
zfehr

Using Terrascene on computer w/o Fly!II

Hello all,I was wondering if you could generate scenery on a computer that does not have Fly!II installed? Reason, I have DSL at my office, If it works I could save hours of time spent downloading at home. I do not have a computer at my office with the graphics ability for Fly!II so I have not loaded it there.Anyone that has tried this, please tell me if it worked.Zane

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You could do it, if your office computer is able to run Terrascene, which is a Java program.You could download all of the USGS data or data packs and render the large TGA images, but don't forget that Fly!2 has to slice them before they can be used as scenery and flatten the airports. And the rendered images can be very large. To bring them home, you'd have to burn them on a couple CDs or have a large removable hard drive.

Thanks William,I've got the ability to take the files home and being able to collect the information via DSL will surely save time.Zane

Zane,Yes it's quite possible and easy to do.Howwever, TS2.1 uses the textures extracted from Fly! itself and then enhances the colour.I suggest that you install TS2.1 at home on the machine with Fly! installed first and let TS2.1 extract and enhance the textures.Then copy the textures to a CD and take them to work with you.You would also need to install TS2.1 at work, but then you can copy the textures from the CD.You could also, probably, just take the globe.pod to work and re-create the c:fly!2system folder and put globe.pod in there for TS2.1 to extract.Lastly and probably the best solution, is what I've done on several occasions (re-builds).Simply install TS2.1 on the same computer as Fly!. Let TS2.1 extract the textures it wants and then copy the entire TS2.1 folder+subfolders to a cd to take to work. Simply copy it across and it should work OK.FWIW, I have only ever installed Fly! once (once for Fly!1 and once for Fly!2), the same goes for TerraScene. These programs do not need the registry at all. I have simply copied the entire tree(s) to another computer as the need arose. I carry a big portable HD with me with my Fly! and TerraScene installations and simply plug it in at work. (USB drive). Fly! and TerraScene have never been installed on my work machine, but both run perfectly. Colin