Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

TS Scenery and Install solution.

Hi, everyone.After using the other sim for a while , it would seem that FlyII is still our best chance to get a decent VFR tool.It would seem to me, correct me if I am wrong, that the two biggest issues, with the users are:1-Installation of all the patches, to get it set up and running.2-Large amounts of time and storage needed to make TS Scenery.I think that both of these can be overcome, with some effort, and these may not be the best options, jump in with ideas. An idea / solution for nr. 1.I think we can generate a CD, not sure about the Legality / Copyright on this, maybe someone from TRI can point the way, that has all the Patches and necessary System files, and then send them to the people that are having difficulties. The steps involved would be to Install your FlyII from the original CD then get the so called

Guest BOB_J

Basic instinct...In fact, except for high mountaineous areas, we (hmmm... me and perhaps some others too) don't need or even can process entire globe tiles to produce decent visual scenery. We basically need large/medium roads, more cities, towns, villages which lays purposely along those roads...Textures "hit" by the human networks are fortunately not so numerous in vast territories over the world.In MSFS, a "taxiway" like layer is made, but embed a limited amount of textures fitted with all those facilities and produced by terrascene into generic scenery should be a much better solution, especially if the textures are, as they could be, "break" along roads, railroads (i.e. splitting land use/cover polygon by networks layers). Generic scenery in FLY!2 is really not so bad "out of the box" (very good, to my opinion, remember that Terrascene use the same textures) and perhaps should be at its best with addtional textures particular to each countryside. In fact, one may be surprised that is it possible to do with a small number of such additions. In other words : visual had to be made at least in conformity with Operational Navigation Charts, for example. The Data Chart of the World, based on ONC, can be used everywhere and we may hope a much better worldwide coverage with a more moderate amount of datas. Processing only along major axes is actually a logical solution (remember 7.5m/pix scale). Even the poor guy victim of shapefiles and dem capitalism excess outside US (hi) should be able to use the underlying generic textures and should have the opportunity of making an interesting job with an hypothetic and welcome sort of mix-up of Ground Type Transform and Terrascene. I don't know if we can indefinitely increase the generic textures database and if the TRI embedding process is another Berlin wall, so I don't know if all that Jazz is possible, but with less disk space and economy of needed datas, surely a fine ops for a FLY! new life!

Hi, Bob.What you are saying makes a lot of sense. I have a difficult time, with the other sim., given the roads, coasts, landclass etc., and I only use it for IFR and or Dawn, Dusk time of day, and use FLYII for everything else. TS scenery provides a more realistic representation of the real Land environment, and something that can be used in real VFR navigation. What I don

Guest swathdiver

Some guys got together who were fans of Jane's WW2 Fighters and produced a 2 CD set for about $5. It included everything made for the plane up to a certain point in time. We could do something like that. I like the idea of the hard drives but not everyone's computer can take a 160gb drive even if they have the ide space, Mine only supports up to 40. Not to mention the new SATA format. However, many of us have DVD players/burners. DVD-RAM format with a double sided disk can hold 9.4 gig of data. The disks are about $15 each including shipping. We could produce a cd set with the terrascene/terramodels scenery already done and zipped to save disk space. Divide the US and abroad into geographical zones. Hmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Hi. The DVD is another good idea. The 160 gb does not have to be a problem, we can partition the drive in 33 mb or less. Buth the DVD idea would work if we can all read those DVDs.Is anyone interested in the idea or shall we call it DoneandGone? We will need at least 10 people to get this done. TV

TV,I've been trying to make contact with someone from the Avsim Store in order to work out a "for-profit" (for Avsim, not the creator) distribution of TerraScenery on CD and/or DVD. I saw the store as a proven order and distribution system for flight simulation products - I thought, why not TerraScene? No response at this time, so I would be interested in alternatives.I have posted in the file library the render packs for all global tiles covering Ohio, most of Detroit, and a good portion of the Carolinas. At this time, the Carolinas Project includes the coastline from Brunswick, GA thru Kitty Hawk, NC. Most of the Smoky Mountain region is posted and I will finish up with the remainder of the Carolinas within several weeks. I have also posted 2 global tiles in Arizona. Needless to say, I have all the original scenery and can burn or copy it to most formats.I own a DVD burner and have a lot of experience with it (I'm a TV Producer), but I'm not familiar with the DVD-RAM format and it is not mentioned as a useable format in my documentation. I can produce DVD-R and DVD-RW versions.

Randall Rocke

Guest swathdiver

DVD-RAM is for data storage and most DVD-R burners should be able to burn to that protocol. My Toshiba SW-2002 uses double sided cds in a case and can hold 4.7 gig of data on each side. This burner does not have the ability to burn to DVD-R or +R protocols but can read them. I plan on buying one that will do both RAM and -R in the near future for videos.

I've checked my documentation - I cannot write or read to/from any DVD-RAM media.My Pioneer DVR-A05 can, however, using InstantWrite UDF packet-writing technology, create a UDF-formatted disk from any DVD-R/DVD-RW that should be readable from any UDF-compatible DVD drive when the media is "finished".

Randall Rocke