Sign in to follow this  
Guest swathdiver

Florida Terrascene Project missing pics in the file library

Hello again,I noticed shortly after uploading all the files that all but two scenery packs had their images removed. What gives? Anyone completed a global tile yet? Wayne has just started releasing airports for the Gold Coast and they look awesome!JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

James;I have d/l all your files and have the following comments/questions?1. When I tried to render Everglades and keys, I received a message that it was searching the internet for usgs data even though I had already installed both of your "base" files, ie "manually-added" and "usgs" folders and files. Initially I was not connected "on-line". I ran into this in one or two of Randall's TS projects and resolved this issue by connecting "on-line" until TS2 started the actual rendering process. Worked fine after that.2. Working my way through your list in order, "Gold Coast" and "Sun Coast" seemed to work great except I seem to have some extra land mass where there should be water off the west coastline of "Sun Coast". And secondly, the colors at the tileline between tiles 198.147 "Gold Coast" and 198.146 "Everglades and Keys" are noticeably different, ie dark green to a lighter, more yellow tinted green.3. On to "Treasure Coast.tsp" and "Treasure Coast2.tsp" - I noticed the default render options for the first one indicates "generate" water mask instead of "use existing" which didn't seem to make sense to me but I proceeded and the result appears to be okay. However "Treasure Coast2.tsp" indicates "use existing" water mask similar to all your previous TS projects. Also, I clicked on "use existing segments" to the right per your instructions. However the final product appears to have some extra land mass off the east coastline where there should be water.That's as far as I have gotten to this point and was just wondering if some of these comments make any sense to you.Thanks,Robert

James;An update to my previous message:Regarding Treasure Coast Globe Tiles 198.148 and 199.148, turns out the "extra land mass" was located in and associated with GT 198.148 @ 28deg-00'/80deg-29' (lower left corner) and 28deg-22'/80deg-09' (upper right corner). So I re-rendered "TreasureCoast.tsp" changing the default render option for water mask from "generate" to "use existing" and it worked, no "extra land mass".I'm going to relook "Sun Coast" but I believe the default render option for the water mask is already set at "use existing" not "generate". BTW, the "extra land mass" assoc. with Sun Coast, GT 197.147 is L-shaped with the following coord's: 1st rectangle - LL @ 25deg-51'/82deg-58'; UR @ 26deg-00'/81deg-59' and 2nd rectangle - LL @ 26deg-00'/82deg-58'; UR @ 27deg-00'/82deg-29'. Not sure what to do if the water mask render option is already correct.One other question for either yourself or Randall, if an area in a globe tile used to be land and is rendered as water, it looks like water with waves but my aircraft still sits on top as if it were land. And vice-versa, water looks like land, but my aircraft still sinks. Am I doing something wrong in the render process or is this normal?Thanks,Robert

Hi Robert,James will have to answer on specific issues with rendering his scenery, but I can give you some info on some items.I'm sure James included 100% of the USGS data needed to render the tiles. As far as having to connect to the Internet in a couple of cases, this is a problem with how the USGS listed the data. As you discovered with some of my Carolina data (which represented coastal waters), you were forced to connect in several cases when on the coast. This is because the USGS lists "categories" of data for geographic areas for every data type, even if the area doesn't exist.For instance, there are some cases where there is no "East" data for a tile that crosses the shoreline (the eastern portion would be ocean, so there is no data). However, the USGS still kept the eastern "East" folder, but with nothing in it. These paths apparently were downloaded directly from the USGS and installed into TerraScene by Todd. When James or I made the original scenery, TS went online and checked that folder, found it empty, and continued to render the tile. In your case, you weren't connected - when TS followed the path structure it found no data for the East folder. Not knowing that there was no data, it attempted to go online for it and stalled. When you connected, it checked the online folder, found it empty, kind of went "never mind" and continued. Again, this type of occurance is rare and will usually only happen with some shoreline tiles.As far as water and land issues, TS will render the textures and visual representations of those textures and elevations - this is very accurate. However, it doesn't actually change what Fly!2 sees "underneath". When there are tiles on a coastline, they were assigned a default value by TRI; some were land (your plane will sit on the surface), othere were assigned water attributes. Just because you paint the surface with a texture that better defines visually where the water and land are doesn't change the "master tile" underneath. If you have an issue where you need to change this (land that has runways and taxiways that is water underneath) or a TS bay where you want to run a seaplane (but can't because it's land to Fly!2), there are tools available to change the global attributes of those tiles. In some cases it's easy, in others, there is a lot more work involved.

Hey Randall,Your knowledge of the workings of this flight sim, as well as other add-on programs, never ceases to amaze me.As far as occasionally having to go online for TS projects, I'm not complaining, just commenting so others may know what to do if they run into the same problem. However I appreciate your explanations as it helps me understand the "whys and wherefors".Regarding the water and land issues, I'm guessing the easy fixes are when the majority of a tile is water or land, so one picks the most appropriate attribute. Whereas breaking a tile into much smaller sub-tiles, etc. and changing the attributes is the "more tedious" task.Thanks, I can live with the defaults. :-) Robert

Robert,Hey, no problem - thought you might be interested. BTW, it was your original post way back with the coastal situation in the Carolinas that alerted me to the USGS "empty folder" issue. Because of that, I was able to add warnings to other packs when they had a similar empty folder.If you ever want to try to correct ground type issues on the underlaying tiles, it may be easier than you think. Just download the Ground Type Transform program by Elrond Elvish and Jim Kanold. It's quite easy to use.Howeber, there are some areas that are much more complex (coastal). In that case, you will need the TerraShape program by Colin Sare-Soar and a decent CAD program. :-)

Hi Robert, Randall taught me everything I know about Terrascene, this project wouldn't have existed without his help. Thanks again Randy! I thought that I had set all the settings in each pack to utilize the attached water mask image. If you see blocky land masses at sea that means TS rendered and did not use, overwrote, my included tile. Just as important as getting rid of those unsightly blocks at sea, all the bridges I spent hours bringing out would be gone and really detract from the scenery in many of the projects.JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Randall,Thanks again for the info. I have both programs you mentioned as well as AutoCad R14. Just haven't much time to try them out. What free time I have, I spend d/l (via slow phone modem), cataloging, installing, printing instructions and testing every add-on scenery, terrascene, terramodel, aircraft, etc. available for this great flight sim.I just checked, I have 23GB of terrascened areas on my second hard drive (160GB cap) and @ 15GB on my primary HD (200GB cap) for all of Fly!2 files and folders with roughly 800 airports worldwide so far. And every file I have d/l from AVSIM, SIMVOL, etc. is backed up on over 24 CD's to make sure I don't have to d/l again.I'm a semi-retired electrical engineer, pursuing my dream career as a professional golfer. I recently passed the PGA-PAT (Players Ability Test) and have started work as an apprentice golf instructor at a nearby driving range.I have always wanted to fly, but due to associated costs, have limited myself to enjoying this flight sim as my primary hobby. Who knows, maybe someday....ThanksRobert

Dang...I've been trying to hit a golf ball for 30 years (started in my early 20s) and never quite got it right. Well, only another month here in Ohio and I'll be dusting the clubs off again.I was fortunate to begin flight training back in the early 20s, but career and marriage then took me on another path. I'm hoping to get some right seat time while one of our local Fly!ers works on his Instrument Rating. If I had it to do over again, I would manage to keep flying somehow - now its going to have to be the occasional ride. My wife has made it plain that I could go back and pick up on my flying, but I know what the expense would be. I'm approaching my mid-50s now and will probably be working into my early 70s - there just isn't going to be time or money to do it. This is why I love Fly! so much - it helps me simulate every day what I had to stop in the real world almost 30 years ago.One of the occasional posters in these forums grew up about 100 miles from where I did in north-central Illinois and did his flight-training about 50 miles from where I did. Like me, he had to stop flying due to marriage, career, and other circumstances. He now lives on the west coast in the San Francisco Bay area - not only did he take up flying again, but he is now an IFR flight instructor and flys nearly every day. So...if you've got the chance, go for it!

Hey, if your ever in the area, No. Virginia, look me up and we could "hit the links". Maybe I could give you a pointer or two in appreciation for your helping me understand this sim.BTW, if my wife hadn't given me her 110% support, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing, especially at my age of 51 this year.My email address is RGKozan@aol.com.Thanks againRobert

Well thanks, Robert! I don't know if I'll ever be in your neck of the woods, but I've stored your address. It's been a pleasure every time I've had the chance to meet another Fly!er face-to-face - maybe that will happen for us some day (and you can wince at my swing).My e-mail: capvideo@columbus.rr.com

James,I just re-rendered Sun Coast and got the same result as my first attempt. Also, my file size is 325MB as compared to your list which says it should be around 230MB. Do you have any suggestions?Thanks,Robert

Good Morning, First, delete everything related to the Sun Coast project, including the contents in the second "data" folder. Extract everything to a temporary folder on say your desktop. cut and paste the "usgs" and "manually-added" to their respective folders, making sure they're not double foldered. Most importantly for the problems you're getting, paste the water mask to the Terrascene output folder and not within a folder within the output folder. Now cut and paste "Florida's Sun Coast.tsp" to the Terrascene projects folder.Now simply click on render, when the new window pops up, the first 3 buttons on the left are set to generate. Water Mask set to "use existing", "Slice with FlyEdit" is checked, "Fly! 2" is checked, "Make Pod" is checked. On the right, make sure all are checked except for delete segments after merge and snow.That's it, enjoy and let us know.JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

James,Sorry, I was out and about the last couple of days. Actually the weather was so nice around here, I got the chance to play a couple rounds of golf. I will give your suggestion a try tonight and let you know.Thanks,Robert

James, James, James...On my 4th rendering attempt for Florida's Sun Coast, I realized the water mask filename in your zipfile was "Southwest Florida-197-147w.tga" so I changed the filename to "Florida's Sun Coast-197-147w.tga" and the rendering worked fine. I am surprised no one else has run into this problem.Thanks,Robert

Ohh No! I'm so sorry! I guess I missed one when I renamed the completed packs for the project. Glad it worked out though, enjoy!JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!