Sign in to follow this  

Controller Keeps Dropping Out

When I start FU3, the controller isn't always connected even after correctly going through the calibration procedure. I can sometimes get it back after deleting and adding it again (Control Panel, Gaming Options, Controllers). Even when I do get the controller back it stays active for a short time only.I have two controllers, CH Flightstick Pro with pedals and a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback stick. Both exhibit the same problem. I have only one controller at a time appearing in the Control Panel, Gaming Options, Controllers window.I would really appreciate some help, many thanks in advanceDon

Don,There shouldn't be a problem with your CH Flightstick Pro. I use the same joystick, and it works fine for me. Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve your problem.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks for replying Chris. I haven't used FU3 for some time and it was all ok when I used it last. But now :-(The controllers work ok in FS2K2If no-one else can suggest a solution I might uninstall and reinstall. :-( :-(Don

Hi there,I don't know what is the operating system you use, but I am quite sure my old virus protection made my controller drop now and again, with Win98. With the new program (and faster CPU) no such problem.Now this might be a long shot, but try dropping out all tasks or programs you don't need to fly the sim. With W98 you only need to keep Explorer and Systray in there to keep it working.Let me know if this had any effect with your computer.Best Regards,Jokke

Hi Jokke,Thanks for your suggestion. My OS is indeed Windows 98 SE with an AMD K-7 processor, 511 MB RAM, MATROX G400 video card.I use a little program called 'End It All' which shuts down all the tasks and programs as you recommend. So I am sorry that does not appear to be the problem but very many thanks for your response, much appreciated.Best regardsDon

Pardon if this is too basic but are we dealing with game port (sound card), USB or one of each? To make FU3 accept rudder pedals we need to add a few lines in the flight3.CFG:; joystick setupjoy_device 2throttle_device 2 3rudder_device 1 3toe_brakes_device 1 1 2I use an analog (game port) stick by CH Products and CH USB rudder pedals and this works in both sims. However, I set pedals up as "independent" rather than "coupled". You may want to look into the settings of each -- Win98 treats them both as "joysticks" and there's a separate configuration for each of them. You may reinstall the drivers for each "joystick" and try to run the set-up menus again.best regards,Hans Petter

Hi HansNo it is not too basic, I should have said earlier that I am using the basic CH pedals without toe brakes, the pedals and joystick are connected together with a CH y-cable which is connected to my sound card game port.I have tried various additions to the config file including that given in the patch readme file but still the problem which I think I have now found the cause but not the solution.When I open FU3, Quick Flight, I can see all the controls working and they continue to do so until I use the top hat switches. After that only the throttle works correctly, the stick movement then controls the view, ie stick to right - look right!! I also lose keyboard control of control surfaces including flaps, control of brakes remains.The only way I have found of regaining control is to restart FU3, ending the flight and selecting another does not give me back control.The top hat works ok in FS2K2 so the switch is ok and functions properly in Control Panel Setup/calibration.The problem is unusual?Best regardsDon

After further investigation it looks as though the problem is my joystick - a rewiring job perhaps.Very many thanks to you Chris, Jokke and Hans for your helpful and constructive suggestions.Best regardsDon

Don,I was starting to suspect that your joystick could be the problem after reading your reply to Hans, but you appear to have discovered this for yourself !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png