Sign in to follow this  

models

Hi model makers,what are the files bin nad mip. Difference?What do I need to make new taxiways with texture?Any help?SincerelyTFT

Guest jonpoint

Great, it's started... ;)FU2 & FU3 models use binfiles and mipfiles. Here's a brief rundown:Binfiles are the 3D model files that give you the physical model. You can create them from 'e' files which are just a text file (with appropriate references). Look at Rob's uploaded packages that include efiles - just open it with wordpad or notepad. The efile also carries the texture mapping information needed to cover the object. Without them, you wouldn't see anything - but you'd still bump into it! Also, using 'n3ds2e.exe', you can create efiles from 3DS files, generally.Mipfiles are the texture files associated with the binfiles. Again, please read Rob's excellent info - that's how I started. Mipfiles are created from GIF87 image files. There are different ways of doing this - use FixMip3 for ease of use - it's very handy for creating mipfiles in Sanfran or Seattle formats. Basically, a mipfile is a GIF87 file, converted to the correct FU palette and containing a number of lower resolution images as well as the original.So, to create a taxiway, create an efile with the correct xyz dimensions and mapping info (this is the hard part to get around but once you get used to visualising your creation from xyz coorinates, it's easy). Then, create a GIF for your textures, 'mip' it with FixMip3 in the correct palette (you may need to 'simplgif' it back to GIF87 - 89 and other formats are not supported). Once that's done, use BSP.exe (again, please look at Rob's great info for command line details) and you're away. Fire up Modelview and have a look.It IS that easy but it took me a while to get around things. For a start, BSP is a bit fiddly - the efile has to be 'clean'. ANY issue at all and it stops. Dead. Get it right and the (FU3) world's your oyster. I redid the GeeBee using efile editing, believe it or not. My Anim8or 3D program doesn't do texturing well enough so I abandoned it. Have a look at the screenshots in the forum for proof :-)Maybe if you can write up your project and email it to me, I can help you step-by-step. Just work out the dimensions to start with. Once you have some success, like Rob and I, you probably will have to remind yourself to go flying sometimes :-hah Happy modelling :-beerchugJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,That sounds similar to airport construction with FLED. Once I had the basics nailed, my own virtual plane hardly ever left the ground !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Jon,thanks for your describtion.Sounds quite complicated, but maybe we could share the work.I would like to make models of the taxiway like the attached, but we need left and right curve junctions, and shorter ones.SincerelyTFT

Guest R_Driscoll

I'm happy to help on this too.If I can get your email address I will send you a "starter" pack, and copies of the stuff I wrote before. It is very easy to make taxiways - this is the simplest (and thus probably the best!) starting point.So I will message you thru AVSIM, you reply to my email which gives me your email without declaring it to everyone and their dog, and then I'll send some stuff to you.Great to hear of your interest! Regards,Robert.

Hi Rob,have you got my e-mail from avsim?SincerelyTFT