Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

New package

I have converted six more airports from UNICOM to tower control, since I wanted a more controlled AI environment at some of the airports that I am visiting in the Beechjet (aborted landings are frequent at busy UNICOM airports). These are as follows:-SEATTLE REGION.........Jefferson County, Auburn Municipal and Pierce County.SANFRAN REGION.........Davis Woodland Winters, Half Moon Bay and Rio Vista.These are working fine at the moment, and appear to integrate with other aspects of the AI environment (I was told to contact Bay Approach on 134.50 when I exited Half Moon Bay airspace). The only problem with the Traffic Advisories and IFR Destination lists that I have found occurs in the SanFran region. Gnoss and Scotts Valley have disappeared from the list, and it appears to have something to do with Davis Woodland Winters (FBO Scotts Valley and Gnoss should appear below this on the first list). However, I have discovered that Gnoss is still selectable (by pressing option 7, which is invisible).Other upgrades in the package are as follows:-JEFFERSON COUNTY One extra AI parking spot Corrected runway edge and taxiway edge lightingAPEX AIRPARK Added runway edge, taxiway edge, and REIL lightingTACOMA NARROWS Modified player parking spot and AI planesDAVIS WOODLAND WINTERS Two extra AI parking spots Added lots more treesCONCORD BUCHANAN Modified player parking spot and AI planesAll six airports that have been upgraded to tower control have complete taxiway designation systems, and I have provided taxiway maps to help you navigate on the ground !The AIRSPACE.txt files have been appropriately modified for each region, but I would like your opinion regarding whether to include these as complete files, or just provide an explanation of the changes required.Anyway, is anyone interested in a package like this ?Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Chris,I would most certainly like to have your upgrades. You said option 7 won't show up on the drop down, but is selectable. Wonder if theres a way to expand the resource of that window so it can display all the available options. You know if that has already been tried? I'm willing to look into it if not.Thanks, Jim B.

Jim,The problem isn't a lack of available space on the list. After all, there are NINE options under "S" in the SanFran region. What does cause the problem is messing around with the AI environment. This caused all sorts of problems when I started adding UNICOM frequencies and AI planes at some of the private airfields in both regions, which is why I released an upgrade package that effectively removed most of them !One problem that would be worth looking at involves the messages given on the approach control frequencies. At times, you will here a message like this:-"Beechjet Niner Lima Golf, traffic is a **** at (bearing), (distance)"In other words, the traffic type is missing. After some testing, this appears to only happen when the AI traffic type is a Mooney, Renegade or Beechjet (it's also possible that the Stemme would also cause this problem, but I have never been able to get the AI version of this plane to work). You can see from this that it is only the AI versions of the new flyable planes in FU3 that seem to be causing the problem.It would be nice to get this problem sorted out :-)Maybe Jouko Huovinen can help us here. In fact, I told him about this problem some time ago, but he seems to have virtually disappeared these days (along with glidernut and Hennie).Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

I have just uploaded the new package to the FU3 file library (Unicom Tower.zip), and the file size is 786k.Let me know what you think, or if you have any problems.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Jim,A flight from Sanderson Field to Arlington Municipal has revealed that it is probably just the Mooney and Renegade aircraft types that are the problem with respect to the traffic advisory messages, since I clearly heard the controller informing an AI pilot of the close proximity of a Beechjet. However, I also noticed that other words are sometimes missing (or garbled), like "tower" and one or two distant destinations for the AI airline pilots. I wonder if this type of problem can be corrected.Anyway, I'm going to e-mail Jouko Huovinen now, to see what he is up to at the moment.Chris Low,ENGLAND.