Sign in to follow this  

FU2/3 install probs. Any ideads?

I tried to install FU2 and 3 last night, and got as far as installing the san fransisco terrain into FU3, but then my machine crashed for reasons unknown. Now I have a running version of FU3 with an San fransisco terrain directory, but an unworkable SF area (the game crashes when I try to laod the SF terrain).I can't uninstall and start again, as the installshield log is corrupt. I know if I just delete the directory, I'll be left with a reg entry that will tell the setup exe that the game is already there.All I want to do is install the SF terrain. Anyone know how to either copy the SF terrain from a new install of FU2 over to FU3 (basically, where all the files go, and what files need to go), or where to find the reg entry that says the game in installed on my machine so I can delete it.Thanks in advance.

Well, that's an interesting one. Can you tell me what OS you are using ? The reason that I ask is because I have recently installed Windows XP on my machine, and the system has crashed many times during my attempted FU3 installations. I had the same problem regarding a corrupted uninstall log, but I decided to reformat the hard disk every time and then reinstall Windows !Let me know what system you have.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Win XP. I just tried deleting the reg entry in HKEY>LOCAL MACHINE>SOFTWARE, but the setup exe still sees the game #### installed. V peculiar.

What's even more peculiar is that I can delete the reg entry, but as soon as I try and reinstal the game, the reg entry reappears. Also, my working version of FU 3 hasn't got the hi-res terrain textures, and doesn;t prompt me for them, which is a bit diasappointing. I hope I don't have to lose this game.

I know that this is a drastic solution, but have you considered formatting the hard disk and reinstalling everything ? If you decide to do this, I would suggest copying the contents of the FU3 and FU2 CD's to folders on your hard disk, and then installing from there. I suffered an install failure doing it this way, but I was able to just restart the install without setup telling me that FU3 was already installed. It is IMPORTANT to let Windows XP go through its full ScanDisk mode after the PC has rebooted, since I think that all of the crap is converted into "chkdsk" files. This may not be possible from a CD install.Create four folders if you choose not to install OT, or five folders if you do. Simply call them CD1, CD2, CD3, CD4 and CD5. The install procedure will allow you to browse for the correct folder as required, so remember which one is which !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks, Chris, for pointing me in the right direction. I got FU3 on my machine eventually, folloing your install instructions. I could only do it, however, after uninstalling and eliminating FU3 from my registry. I did with a prog I got after reading this thread. Check it out. It might save you a lot of remastering in the future, or save anyone with similar problems should it happen to them. Also, I think I found the file XP doesn't like. When I was copying over the files from FU23 disk one, windows said it couldn;t copy rlessons in Engpile (or something close - I'm working from memeory here). I simply missed out the file when copying, and everything went smoothly on the install.Anyway, again, thanks for the help, and checkout the thread.http://oldsite.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/board...c;f=40;t=006298PS, you have to remove the reg entry, but also, use the uninstall feature on the second or third tab (again, sorry for the being vague, but I'm at work and working from memory).