Sign in to follow this  

Old Flight simmer

Hi Gang,First of all many thanks to Glidernut for sending me the UK-South and update/addon discs, I am now on to part 3 of the addons. Cheers mate!. I have downloaded a number of aircraft in the last few weeks and I think you all have done a splendid job, I would not know where to start! But have we not come a long way. I have been flying a computer since 1980 something. I remember my C64 and Chuck Yeagers advanced flight sim. When my Sublogic Flight sim arrived, well I was over the moon what a package! It has developed in to todays MicroSoft Flight sim. It came with 2 books, one on how to fly and the other on navigation. Two very handy books. Also there where 4 maps and of course the ability to add on new areas. I then bought an Amiga 1200 and got Flight sim 2, again by SubLogic, WOW what a difference. I also got the UK scenery this was ace and came with 2 realiy good maps. A320 Air bus was another jewel it got a very bad write up in the Amiga mag only because the reviewer was a shoot em up type pilot and the thought of real flying was beyond him.I bought a PC with a blistering 233mhz procesor, well it was bilstering then 300mhz was just a rumour. FU2 was the 1st prog I bought. I could not belive a flight sim could be as good as this!Well thats how I became Desk top pilot.

Flightsgt,Do you still use Microsoft Flight Simulator ? If so, which do you prefer....FS2002 or FU3 ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Chris.I dont have FS 2002, but I have FS 98. When I bought FU2 I thought FS98 must be better so I went out and bought It. Although the programme is very good I think FU2 had the edge on the scenery and the aeroplane reacted more like the real thing.I was fortunate to have a friend in my last job who had a pilots licence and had acsess to G-OOLE a Cessna 172 skyhawk based at Humberside airport. We took off and went as far as Barnsley, I was given control of the aircraft while the pilot took some photos of a fellow colleague's house. We then landed a Sherburn for a cuppa and flew back to Humberside. I took over from Sherburn to Hull. This gave me time to play with it. If you just lightly push the control colum forward and let go, the aircraft would bounce around like it was on a spring. This to me was the deciding factor, FU2 reacts the same just like the real thing. Where as FS 98 didn't. "As real as it gets?" not quite!The major disapointment was the cessna panel in FU2, the one in FS98 was far better. Now I have FU3 and the cessna that Steve Hess has done its perfect. Well nearly If I could fly over my house in Hull it would be. FS 2002 now I hear is being replaced. So I expect the price will drop. I may be tempted in the future.:-) Here is G-OOLE's Panel. The photo is made up of 4 photos to get it all in, that is the reason for the different shades.

fltsgt,Welcome onboard!Nice to see new faces here in this forum.This goes also to "Gottendammerung" (if he reads)The new cessna's in the library are all very good, and you can finddifferent types and panels there for your own taste.I began simming with the Flight unlimited 2 in 98, and have also tried all the Ms. flightsims.The ms. series is for me too steril, and no other sim gives me the the same feeling of flight as the Fu-series.Many talented persons are all the time coming up with exellent new addons for the FU3 sim, so I'll continue flying FU3.This old sim is far from dead.It's getting better and better, and with the new scenery for the UK-region, this sim have got a new life.Best regards.Lars Peter. :-wave

Hi LarsI want my flight sim to be as real as possible, switching every thing on, checking the mags and taxying out to the runway is as important as the flying its self if the illusion of real flight is to work. Thats one of the differences FU2 had over FS98, FS98 started with the engine running on the runway. Sat on the apron planing your flight, jotting down the freqs you will need on the way. It is what flying to me is all about. Discovering Avsim with all the FU3 stuff has really enhanced my desk top flying.:-wedge