Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Flattening terrain

Cristian described a method of flattening terrain to me not so long ago, but I was wondering if there is a simple routine for this that anyone could use. I am referring to something similar to the instructions given on Andre's website for Coupeville NOLF. If I decide to flatten the runway terrain at Auburn Academy in the Seattle region, and Inglenook Ranch in the SanFran region, then I would like everyone who uses my packages to have the opportunity of doing the same, without having to go through the complicated process described by Cristian.Is this possible ? How did Andre do this for Coupeville NOLF ? Is this something that could be done for these two airfields ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest andy9164

Chris,The only method I have seen of flattening or altering terrain height is those where you have to load nodes in using geotiles viewer. Thinking back as part of UK packages that have been put in the library we have had to do this for Isle of Wight and Gatwick. If someone can come up with an easier way, I agree it would make life a lot simpler.I have attached a process that came with the gtwelez.zip file which shows how its done. Don't know if this is the same as you had or even if its up to date but it may help.Sorry, this ones beyond me, I just follow the instructions and it works.Andy

Guest Quaxo

Chris, it wouldn't be that complicated for every user - just for you. Once you created the modified classification file, you can include it in your "package", and the users can import it as they did with Coupeville Nolf.If you really don't want to do it yourself, email me the classification files you want to modify, and tell me which megatile they belong to. Also tell me the actual height you want the airport to be to, and any additional information (i.e. what area you want to flatten, the shape and size of that area, and so on) and I'll create the "modified" classification files for you. I won't be able to do so before the weekend though... :-)Cristian

Cristian,OK, I will let you do the hard work....but only because you are familiar with the method :-)I will not be able to provide you with the details until I return from a short visit to Scotland over the weekend, but I can tell you what I need.INGLENOOK RANCH (SANFRAN REGION)......If you study this airfield, you will notice that it is on a slight slope. I would like this area of the terrain to be perfectly flat, so that I can "use" the dirt strip without sinking into it. The little parking area that I created for this airfield (included in SanFran 2003) also needs to be flat. When this is done, I can get rid of that stupid dotted line runway that I added !AUBURN ACADEMY (SEATTLE REGION).......This airfield is included in my Seattle 2003 pack, which I assume that you use :-) Have a look at the runway. You will notice a horrible bump in the middle. I would like this to be flattened completely. This is the only part that I want flattening, since I have added quite a few extra trees recently, and I would prefer not having too many trees floating in the air !Thanks a lot for offering to do this Cristian. I am just so busy upgrading all of these airfields, that I would prefer someone who is familiar with this routine to do it, rather than me waste God knows how many hours trying to fiddle around.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Quaxo

Chris,You'll probably be VERY disappointed by what I'm going to say... :-) The last time I took a flight in Seattle was a long long time ago. Months, I believe. The fact is that I have a ridiculously low amount of spare time now, and when I can use FU3, I usually fly in the UK, because I want to "tune" it as much as possible. Obviously, I can be biased in my appreciation for this region ;-). Anyway, the fact is that I'm not so familiar with your Seattle2003 pack. :-shyBut I can flatten the area anyway. You'll just have to provide me the name of the megatile, and a screenshot of the airfield area (from above, so I can identify it)...If you email me, please don't send big files - no more than 200-300 Kb per email if you can, as I have a small mailbox... :-(Cristian

Hi to all,yes this text is ok. I have originaly sent this to Robert for Gatwick.Hi Chris,You can do this as described for Coupeville Nolf at http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/fixnar.php3Keep the yellow line as thin as possible to modify just the runway, remember 1 pixel = 64metersWith 2 areas on in the same megatile both are on the same height. The first pixel found during import is triggering the elevation dialog box. The entered height is then used for all yellow pixels found in the megatile. If you have different heights in 1 megatile, make a class map for each single area and import itin any sequence. You can then enter the height for each and the previous modification are kept. As soon I finish GeoTilesViewer 3.0 you can then export the finished elevation and distribute this small file with your package. I have used this method to provide the Gatwick flat area for Robert. With the new GeoTilesViewer there are scripts for automatic imports. Hope I can release it soon, problem are the unfinished tutorial and spare time :-(.A valid version (2.99) was distributed with the last update of UK-South.:-)Import with older versions generates pits :-(

Cristian,OK, I will provide you with screenshots and megatile information shortly.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png