Sign in to follow this  
Guest KenG

Really stupid runway lights question

As I approach a runway from a distance the lights to the left of the runway appear red and then suddenly (as I get to a certain distance closer) they shift to white. Does this mean anything? Is this real world behavior and am I doing something illegal (that would get my PPL pulled)?("Hey, you idiot, what the @#$@% are you doing trying to land on this runway when the lights are red!")

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That's the VASI lights. All red means you are below the glide slope. All white means you are above the glide slope. In your situation, you approached the runway too high, that's why they were all white. Depending on the VASI configuration, you should have two white and two red lights while decending for landing (one white and one red with the two-light system).

Thank you so much. I did assume it had something to do with my approach, but never considered glide path (for me a landing is more of a controlled crash anyway :>)Now at least I'll have something to judge just how badly I'm coming down .

Old rhyme to remember those lights:Red over Red, You're Dead (too low)White Over White, You'll fly all night (too high)Red Over White, You're Alright (Right on the money)Good luck!

Or: All Red, Soon Dead. All White, too much Height. Red over white, just right.

>That's the VASI lights. All red means you are below the >glide slope. All white means you are above the glide slope. >In your situation, you approached the runway too high, >that's why they were all white. Depending on the VASI >configuration, you should have two white and two red lights >while decending for landing (one white and one red with the >two-light system). BUT-- the problem is that some of FSims VASIs don't work as they should. For example, if you are too low on approach they will be all red, then as you get closer they "should" go to a combination of red/white and then as you continue on at the same altitude they "should" go all white meaning you are now too high.But I have come across VASIs where they are red on first sighting and then SUDDENLY change to all white. Even worse is that ,when red they are very bright -- but when they turn to all white , they become very dim and almost impossible to see.Try Coolangatta Airport in Australia to see what I mean.Barry

AND: White over Red: you're on drugs...or upside down.