Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Flight Simulator 2004 - opinions?

Guest Allan_D

Hi Staggerwing,I must say if you've enjoyed FS2K2 as much as I have, You'll love Cof.We are only talking about the price of a decent meal for 2. I don't understand why some folks buy these big computers with many GHz of hard drive and then install only one game, :-lolI have as many as will fit on my drive and have alot of fun with most of them. I might be Deer hunting in the MTs. one minute then Hunting the white Rhino in Africa the next, Maybe running a Nascar race against my computer. Or landing on the Dome in FU3 or checking out places in FS2K2 or Cof ( it's lot's better with Cof most places )The places I have been for real are not up to snuff, but still nice to look at in a flight game, I have been to Frisco several times and I like the way FS has made that look real. Lots of trees and Buildings, I spent 40 hours building my Yelm package for FU3, It would take me a life time to add as many objects as FS auto gen doesin that area. And all them trees and Buildings are frame rate friendlyin FS.Have Fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Yes, that is probably a very good piece of advice Tom :-)With respect to commenting on it, if I see any screenshots of ground textures that are claimed to be better than those in FU3 (and 99 per cent of the time in the past, those claims were garbage), then I feel that it is my duty to respond. After all, flying when you're blind isn't a very safe pastime ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Chris,The textures in FS04 are way better than the FU3 outter terrain ones... not as good as the photo real ones... but overall very pleasing to the eye.I tried this earlier and failed but I have 5 shots for you. My method of putting the shots in doesn't seem to be working so I try it the hard way.1. Honolulu2. San Francisco3. Alcatraz4&5. SeattleHope this works?

Nope, it doesn't look like it worked Tom :-)Send me the screenshots via e-mail.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, it worked 8 hours ago, except that the first attachment came as plain text. The other ones showed as proper jpegs. When posting images it's paramount to check (tick) the jpeg box, otherwise it'll be passed on as plain text. Further, there's a box saying "check this box if you wish to embed attachment URL in the message text box". This way the image will show in the post. Hans Petter

Now we all seem to be talking about ms flight sims, Can any one help me with FS 2002?It has the default aircraft + a corsir.In the aircraft folder there is a Dash8_100 and a PA28_180 and a md_83 what ever that is.How do I get these extra aircraft to come up on the list with the rest of the default ones.Paul.......:-hmmm

Guest twsimfan

Hans,Further, there's a box saying "check this box if you wish to embed attachment URL in the message text box"Thanks... this is the first time I've tried to post pictures since the software change.We try again. :-eek (Keep in mind these are "scrunched" down from 1024X768)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/28753.jpgHonolulu in the Ford Tri-Motor... the best of the 3 Ford paints IMO. Note the mesh complexity on the mountains. It has been too many years since I have been there for me to comment on how accurate this is or is not... I do know that around Denver & Seattle they look real good but are not entirely accurate. They do have the elevations just about perfect around Jeffco airport here in Broomfield. :)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/28754.jpgSan Francisco in the DC-3... I got that paint from the AVSIM library... I guess it would be a C-47 with that paint. ;-) Here again you can get a feel for the complexity of the mesh... not up to FU3 standards but very pleasing... especially in areas you are not familiar with. Sorry... I didn't set up the shot very well... wanted more mountains and didn't want to block all the better buildings. :-shyhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/28756.jpgIt has been nearly 18 years since I have been there but that is by far the best rendition of Alcatraz I have seen in a sim ever! It even beats the one in F/A-18 on my old Amiga... and that was pretty great! Sorry I didn't set up the background better... that is TI if anybody doesn't know. (Treasure Island)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/28765.jpgSeattle. I did say before that FU3 does Seattle better from a distance... but notice the hills behind the Space Needle... those where not in FS02. Also notice that the King Dome is gone. Those stadiums are just about perfect. In Denver they have a great rendition of Coors Field... home of the Colorado Rockies baseball team... but it is a couple of miles north and a bit East of downtown... it actually is on the West edge of downtown. In Tacoma they have the Tacoma Dome right where it belongs but it looks like Texas Stadium... the one in FU3 is how it should look... except for the color. Of course the Tacoma Dome in FU3 has McKinly Hill and the gultch just South of it as they should be... they are missing in action in FS04. But for someone not familiar with the area it does now look like a believable city. ;-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/28766.jpgWith the exception of the King Dome all of the buildings we have come to know in FU3 are there... and a whole lot more... many of those are real buildings... some are autogen... but major cities look really good up close & personal in FS04... IMO! :)

Guest otter55

tomi have tried numerous times in the last 2 days to post photos to my messages.every time i attach a jpeg and then press "post message" i get the login screeni give updon

Guest twsimfan

Paul,Those are the AI aircraft... there is also a DH Dash 8. Send me an e-mail address and I'll send you some air files that will make them flyable planes. All 3 would less than 25KB before zipping. They just use default panels... Kingair for the Dash 8... 737 for the MD-83... Skyhawk for the PA-28 Archer... and no cockpit views on the sides or behind you... but they can be fun.MD stands for McDonnell-Douglas... they are actually Stretch DC-9s after Mcdonnell merged with Douglas. Since Boeing bought out MD they are being called 717s... kind of poor since there once was a 717 that was a varient of the 707.BTW... if you have CFS2 you can load all the flyable aircraft (7 of them) to either FS02 or FS04 and they work great... the F4U Corsair is one of those.

Tom,Those five screenshots are still not viewable on my PC. There are now simply five boxes with red crosses in them. You're not having much luck, are you ? :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Don,At the top of the forum click on "top"... taking you to the top of the forum list. Look to see if you are logged in as "flightsgt" or if it is offering you a link to the login screen. When you do login be sure to check the box to stay logged in the next time you come back. Keep in mind that the forums will automatically log you off every few months. Also we all got logged off a few days ago... they did some sort of update.If that doesn't help you need to get in touch with Scott... he runs the forums and might have some better ideas. :)

Guest twsimfan

Chris,Mine too! :-grr They were there a few minutes ago. I give up!

Guest otter55

tomhave done all the aboveam logged in as otter55still cant upload picsoh wellat least we have good flying weather here in the real world :)off i go to pre-flight,don