Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy9164

GeForce 4........major progress

Guest andy9164

All those with GeForce 4.I haven't really been happy with my GeForce4 since I got it and have spent a lot of time trying to find answers........however, last night / early this morning I made some good progress after digging around on the internet, following some old links I found in the forum and generally trying "trial and error permutations" of all the bits of info I could find.Firstly I uploaded the lates drivers from nvidia 45.23, de installed my Geforce, deleted all files using Detonator RIP and reinstalled the new drivers. After hours of reading, experimenting and tweaking with Riva Tuner (although it has not been tested with this version of driver) I ended up where I get no steps on the horizon, no shimmering, a good clearly defined landscape and the framerate??By setting the Terrain detail option in FU3 to about 3/4 (I decided that at 3000ft there was only a slight drop in quality). In 800 x 600 resolution, F8 or F5 view, with the horizon just below the top of the screen I was averaging around 50-100 fps, the counter was more 100 than the 50. In 1024 x 768, around the same but more on the 50 than the 100 side. In 640 x 480, I lost a tiny bit of quality but hit a constant 100fps over open land.I will post some screenshots tonight for you to see, I'd had enough by 3am, and what I also intend to do is fully document the settings I changed through the desktop and in Riva Tuner, and put these in the forum hopefully over this weekend. (Looks like Lydd gets delayed again)Of course, I am not guaranteeing you will get the same results, but I am more pleased with my Geforce4 now than I have ever been.(It's been in the trash twice)Rest of my system is Athlon 1800+, 512 PC133 Ram, Sounblaster 5.1 and a couple of 60meg HDD.Will keep you posted.Andy

Andy,How on Earth do you get framerates that high at 1024 by 768 resolution ? In order to get no steps on the horizon (and no shimmering), you must be using FSAA and anisotropic filtering in RivaTuner. That reduced framerates to a certain extent, although this might be less significant with a GeForce 4 (compared to my GeForce 3 Ti 200).Nevertheless, my 1.2Ghz Athlon Thunderbird and 64Mb graphics card is lucky to push 17 fps :-eek Mind you, this is with all detail sliders set to MAXIMUM, but even so you are getting a HUGE performance advantage from a processor which is presumably only 50 per cent quicker than mine (assuming that an 1800+ really does mean 1.8Ghz performance).Maybe the Athlon XP+ does something that the Thunderbird doesn't.I would be interested to see how well FU3 runs on an Athlon 64, since I have set my upgrade sights on this little beast :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest andy9164

Chris,Yes...totally freaked me out as well. You are quite right, I am using 4xS Anti Aliasing and 8x Aniosotropic filtering. Some of the other tweaks have to do with forcing AA and Anios on for all 3d appilcations,mip mapping etc. (Dont undertand what these are, see attached). This is a list I found at 3DGURU.com the link which I found in the forum here. Not all the options were available to me in my setup and some of the options were in a different place but so far I am 200% happier with my G4 than I was before.As I say, it was more a case of trial and error, but will publish my settings over the weekend. By lowering the terrain detail setting, in my view, didn't really affect the texturing that much, but improved the frame rate and also reduced the amount of scenery I saw "getting built".Will publish settings and screenshots later.Andy

Guest andy9164

Chris, One thing I forgot, the AMD Athlon 1800+ only runs at 1.53 Gig.Sorry if this puts a downer on even more.Andy

Andy,I know it only runs at 1.53Ghz. That's why I said "1.8Ghz performance".Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Allan_D

Andy,It's been several years since I've seen a post from someone that gets 50 or 100 fps with FU3, I,m waiting eagerly for the pictures of this,maybe over Seattle city at 2,000 ft if it isn't to much trouble for you. :-lol Have Fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest andy9164

and this is where the fun begins.....and the confessions start.I'm a "UK Souther" and hadn't really experimented over San Fran or Seattle, in fact they were no longer on my machine. So, over the weekend I reloaded FU3 on a seperate drive, but had major problems. I did manage to get it flying and out in the country North of Napa I was getting 33-50 fps.....then disaster!!! For some reason my PC decided not to play anymore and refused to do absolutely anything. I have spent most of the weekend trying to make it well again and am in the process of restoring a lot of my software, so at the moment all FU activities are on hold.......and NO, I didn't get Lydd finished at the weekend (again). Once we are stable again, I will take some more shots and try again with the US regions. I had forgotten that the detail in US has a bigger hit on Frames than the UK so my findings may not be too beneficial outside the UK. Having said that, the improvement I have seen in the UK has made a big difference to my enjoyment.Will post later.ANdy