Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Extended SanFran Region

Ok, assuming that we could find the required terrain maps....at the required high resolution....and add the required colour palette...and the necessary high resolution terrain mesh (nobody said this was going to be easy :-)), I decided to have a poke around in the California section of the airport listings at www.airnav.com. The current SanFran regional area in FU3 extends (very roughly) from 37 to 38.5 degrees north, and 121.5 to 123 degrees west. I listed the airports that I would like to (theoretically) develop if the region was extended to 39 degrees north, and 120.5 degrees east. Actually, I would also like to see it extended WEST to 123.8 degrees west.Now, before you start shouting at me for "breaking the rules", I want to point out that FU3's two high resolution scenery regions are tilted around 20 degrees from true north-south (at least, that SEEMS to be the case when looking at airport runways in FLED). This means that the coordinates of each successive "western edge" megatile move FURTHER WEST as we proceed through the region from south to north. Therefore, it is just possible that we may be able to include the Pacific coastline up to a latitude of 39 degrees north. This would be rather nice, because the Point Arena lighthouse is located on the coast at just less than 39 degrees latitude....and I would like this to be included :-)So, does anyone have any comments or suggestions ? Can this be done ? Is it worth attempting ? Am I talking c*** ? :-)Chris Low.PS. Would it be possible to replace an existing megatile with a new one ? I am referring to the possibility of finding a high resolution satellite map of the Farallon Islands. They should have been there in the first place, and I would love to see them added.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, the Point Arena lighthouse is actually located at just less than 39 degrees latitude (as I have corrected in my original post), so maybe 123.8 degrees west would be pushing it somewhat.Oh well, I will just wait and see what the rest of the forum has to say.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'd like to fly rather then constantly modify the region. FU has limits, so I'll try to fly in FS rather, than will spend thousands of hours at work with limited results. I like AI planes in FS, contrails, so I'd like to try FS first, at least with ready SFO area.B.Adamski

Guest R_Driscoll

Chris, it would seem strange to do the Farallon islands twice.

Robert,The Farallon Islands are not present in my version of the SanFran scenery.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Chris,B.Adamski did the Farallon islands for Srnfran.Every one els has it, why havant you? Same on you.Go get it and enjy.Its briliant.glidernut.

Guest ChrisD

Hi Glidernut.You have to include me too.I don't have it either...Will, seek and download :)ChrisD

Glidernut,No disrespect to Bogdan, but I would prefer the REAL Farallon Islands. In other words, satellite mapped terrain with correct elevations and features.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png