Sign in to follow this  
Wolfko

Flight Planner to Europe

Can somebody please tell me one city on each side of the Atlantic which I can choose that will give me a direct route in FS2002 without getting a zig-zag course? I want to be able to use the flight planner with ATC to get across the Atlantic. Now, for example, if I choose JFK or any other the other several cities in the US to any of those I chose in England, Ireland, or Germany, the course takes me to North Africa first. I am using IFR and High Altitude airways options to make it realistic as possible and don't want to use the GPS (although I have not tried) because that option would not be real.Thanks,Rob

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The flight planner is not particularly intelligent - so you do get some strange routing. I don't use the default FS2k2 flight planner although I do believe it is possible to edit your route so that it is more like real life - and not just accept what the planner puts in. Or use a 3rd party navigation utility like FSNAVATC does tend to "Zig-Zag" your course (which is really handy), the way around this being when you are told to "Contact Centre" you acknowledge the handoff, but then only "Contact Centre" when you are nearing your destination. If you are flying over the Atlantic then I would suspect that your flight does not have ATC coverage once you are out of US Airspace anyway (until you hit Europe). Although I am sure that there are some RW pilots that can comment on that !!!

Why don't you just edit the automatically generated flightplan? It can easily be done in the default flightplanner. Just delete the waypoint you don't like and add the point you want to use.The even better way is to use direct GPS feature in creating the plan (this does not mean you have to use the GPS when flying, as you think this is unrealistic). This will give you just a direct line between departure and destination airport. Since this you do not have to delete the unwanted and/or unrealistic waypoints. Then the only thing is to add some waypoints (if you like to).At least you always have to edit the autogenerated FS2002 flightplans, when you want to have add a bit more realism in the sim. e. g. you can add SIDs and STARs to the default flightplanner without editing.Besides this I recommend to get you a programm with an inbuilt enhanced flightplanner like FSNav or similar. This will add even more pleasure to your simming.Regards,Wolfgang

... e. g. you can add SIDs and STARs to the default >flightplanner without editing. >Off course above should correctly read "...e. g. you CANNOT add SIDs and STARs to the default flightplanner without editing."Wolfgang