Sign in to follow this  
Guest DLM

Any interest in a Boeing 717-200 ?

Guest DLM

I would like to see this aircraft for FU3, infact it

Daniel,Yep, I am VERY interested in a flyable Boeing 717-200. This would be able to use a significantly greater number of airports than Ansgar's 747, and it would be a nice "middle of the road" option between that and the Beechjet.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Sounds like a good choice but why exactly B717-200? I've got a general idea of what it is but I'll have to look it up. What I do know "by heart" without checking is the B737, from 200 to 800. Then there's the DC 9 which evolved into the MD 80 and 90. So, we could use a domestic airliner to fill the gap between our bizjet and the Jumbo but what made you choose B717?best regards,Hans Petter

Guest effyouthree

The '717 IS the DC-9, or rather, the MD95.Made by Boeing, of course. Nice, reliable, CHEAP medium-range domestic 'liner. A real workhorse on the 300-600mile category (and, with current-design engines, more economical than a 737-300 over these distances). Used by budget operators everywhere (except Virgin, who prefer 737-800s in Oz, due to thir extended range, giving more trips per refuel).As a kid, I always preferred the 727 over the DC9 (I thought they looked sexier...) but, McDD did such a fantastic job of the DC9 design, when Boeing took over people thought the 737 would kill it but, in reality, the design outlived the 727 by about 15 years!Oh yes, there WAS another 717. This was the original designation for what became the military C135/KC135 I believe but they didn't use it for political reasons (although I was told by an ex-employee that it was purely superstition about using odd numbers...). It's official designation was 367-80 (Dash-80) and became famous for completing an unscheduled barrel-roll over Lake Washington in 1955, complete with the Boeing execs and Military brass' astonishment! Wish I'd been there/born to see it! Of course, it also became the 707, delivered in 1958.Where do I get this stuff from? Sheesh :-rollSo, grab Ansgar's AI MD model and go for it ;) Ansgar, whaddayareckon?:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest R_Driscoll

Many years ago I wrote my own flight sim, and it was a 727. It included shaded horizons, clouds, sunsets, an autopilot, textured terrain with hills etc., proper complicated start-up etc. This was back in the old DOS days and I'm afraid the framerate could be measured in fpm, not fps. But it was fun to write it.I'm not that interested in large planes anymore - I think ATP did them to death for me, and MSFS does not have the same ATC detail as ATP did (although I understand MSFS has improved a lot in the last release), so I would rather see 'small' planes like the otter, DH8, etc. The biggest I enjoy is the DC3, although having the 747 is a real status symbol and an incredible achievement by Ansgar. Me, I like gliders and ultralights and under-powered planes best (I love the Cub - despite its rudder kick in cross-winds).Has anyone flown the Blimp recently? That's a great platform for watching the world go by!RobD.

Robert,With a simulation of reverse thrust that is the best on the PC (in my opinion), I am always interested in a new jet for FU3 ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I think that 717-200 would be great for FU3 so go for it Daniel. Boeing 747-400 is maybe too big for FU3 because of limited scenery so that means that there is no proper passanger jetliner made for FU3 yet. B747-400 is really great but as I wrote it's too big for FU3.B717-200 or anything similar to it like DC-9 or MD-80/90 series would be really great, B717 would fit just great between B747 and Beechjet. Regards Dubravko

Guest DLM

Thanks guys for the comments! :) I will start some modest work using Ansgars AI models of the MD90(if possible ?). I still need someone to make the real 3D models though. As soon as there is something flyable i will put it up at Unlimited Design.Hans-Petter,Thank you for asking! Honestly i am not really sure why i want the MD95 (or the 717-200 depending on how ambitious i plan to be*).The only answer i get when i search why i like the 717/MD9x is that it is the first real contact i had with real aircraft. As little i got to fly with all of them (the DC-9, the "new" MD80 and later on the MD90). In FU2 i remember just "leaving" my aircraft as soon as there where an MD80 taking off or on final :)* = The 717-200 is an all LCD cockpit which is not really supported in FU3. // Daniel

Guest effyouthree

Daniel/All,"* = The 717-200 is an all LCD cockpit which is not really supported in FU3. "Actually, you'd be amazed what can be done with overlay bitmaps etc (don't forget we have transparency in cockpit views ;) ) and I have thought of it with the Jetstream/A340 - if I ever get that far (the T6 is close to being thrown out :-grr ).Ansgar is the master here as we have to edit the B400 cockpit but, looking at what has been done by everyone (including Glidernut's colour-change gustmeter) I believe there is more to do. "LCD" is actually easier (IMHO) than photo-real gauges anyway - it's just a single set of colours over a black background. Only thing, I'd like to change the panel font but it's not that bad. Having spent some time in a 737-800 cockpit (all glass) I can see how we'd do 95%, as long as you don't need programmable flight directors. :-rollBut I don't mind if you want to do a good ol' DC9 :-wave Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest Ansgar

Hi Daniel,sorry for the late reading and answer.If you need some of my 3d-models as base for your model ... no problem. Simply tell me what you need and you have my support to start from any of my models.Also questions concerning the cockpit bitmap ovberblending you can ask me. If I can help with any infos I sure will do it! As far as I know or better remember there was a limitation in the layer depth. So you can

Guest DLM

Jon,I have never been one of those excellent cockpitdesigners so i guess i will go for the perfect mix regarding the cockpit. That is of course the MD95 ;) No LCD but still pretty advanced!I don

Guest Ansgar

Ehhhmmmmmm Daniel,where I have a model of a MD-95??The only similar 3D-model I can offer you is a MD-88 or in an earlier status and MD-87.Is it that what you mean and need?The second question is: In which formast you would like to have the model? As *.3ds file, or any other format?Let me know and I send it to you via mail.Best regardsAnsgar

Guest DLM

Sorry Ansgar! :-shyOf course i mean your MD-88 model in the AI pack.If you could send it in both *.3ds and FU3 *.bin(?) format that would be perfect!// Daniel

Guest Ansgar

Hi Daniel,the files are send.Much success!!